Values for ON / OFF messages and percent and other messages

Hey, what’s the value range for Midihub’s on/off or bypass commands?

0 off, 1-127 on?

or 0-63 off 64-127 on?

and for commands that are measured in percent - like chance or swing - is the range 0-127 or is it 0-100?

or for something like the arp repetitions command - is it 0-127 or 0-15?

Trying to program my knob controller (faderfox EC4) and could definitely use a chart with all the values for all the pipe parameters! Is there one somewhere?

Midihub’s on/off or bypass commands…
…0-63 off 64-127 on?

Yes

commands that are measured in percent - like chance or swing - is the range 0-127 or is it 0-100?
… arp repetitions command - is it 0-127 or 0-15?

CC value range 0-127 will map to 0-100, 1-16, or whatever the property value range is in a “rounded integer” fashion.
(ie. every input value will map to something)

chart with all the values for all the pipe parameters! Is there one somewhere?

Don’t think so. Never gone looking.
There may be a precise definition of above rule somewhere but, again, Never gone looking.

1 Like

ah, I was hoping it wouldn’t be that way, as it’s easier to know what setting i’ve chosen if it’s 1-15 type of values, but not the end of the world!

thank you!

I guess the underlying thinking is that many people have non-configurable controls and that small movement mapped to properties with small ranges could lead to accidental jumps.

If it remains an issue for you, maybe consider a loopback with a Rescale Pipe?

yeah it seems l

yes, that makes sense, and it’s just simple one size fits all way that works.

for the loopback with rescale, i dont think that would make sense, though maybe i misunderstand what rescale does - doesn’t it just affect notes, not CC ranges?

but maybe a midi range filter? but i honestly cant figure out exactly how that pipe works at the moment either.

i would be rally handy for a setting like octave range for the arp if i could squish the 0-127 into 0-4 range (or however many octaves are the max) but i guess my situation is a bit unusual

Sounds a bit like you’re trying to think out your solutions without a Midihub to hand; have you got one yet?

If not it might be better to read bit at bottom when you can get hands-on.

In the meantime –if there’s a spare in&out– feel confident you can get Midihub to do the above…
…or even something fancier like switching between just 4 arp types of your choice!

(some day Midihub will do this natively but for now loopback is what some users use get Midihub to respond to scaled mapping values)

EDIT:

if i could squish the 0-127 into 0-4 range (or however many octaves are the max)

just looked at this again.
But this is what it does, right?

• CC value Octave Range
  • {0 - 9} -7
  • {10- 19}-6
  • ~~
  • {54- 63}-1
  • {64- 73}+0
  • ~~
  • {117-126}+6
  • {127}-7

You only need to get fancy if you want your {0-127} to sweep over say -2 to +4 octaves

try it yourself bit:

what rescale does - doesn’t it just affect notes, not CC ranges

No, you can Choose from:
Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 09.33.20

The sticky bit is not that, but fact that mappings are always taken as direct inputs.
See explanation of “direct-ness” of mappings and how to get around it

i do actually have one! was writing that message while away from home though - and hadn’t played with rescale because I had misunderstood that it was just for note messages from reading the manual section.

ooh thanks, ok yes this looks right - but why would i need to loopback, i can’t just put the rescale pipe after the arp pipe?

and for switching between arp types, we can already do that by mapping a knob to the arp type function - what do you mean?

but why would i need to loopback, i can’t just put the rescale pipe after the arp pipe?

cos midihub doesn’t care what you do with the map value once it’s in the hub only its value as it comes into a physical port; see the explanation link

switching between arp types, we can already do that by mapping a knob to the arp type function - what do you mean?

indeed, but imagine for a performance, you wanted only

• Up and Down
  • Up and Down Incl.
  • Low Up and Down
  • Low Up

then loopback means you can do this.
(ie. “switching between just 4 arp types of your choice”)

otherwise you’d need a knob that can be configured to give 4 specific non-adjacent values
or 4 toggle buttons each set to a different value
or run the risk of turning to an arp-type you don’t want mid-gig!

i think i understand, but i’m going to have to play with it and see if I can get my head around this, but might come back here to bug you to explain more if I can’t figure it out - thanks for your help

and by loopback you mean physically take a cable from like out A to in B, or can i do that by sticking in a MIDI in pipe?

Yes like in the pic here or if you’re connected via a computer via a patchbay

1 Like