Using pisound's other GPIOs for other purpose?

Hi there,

that’s not clear for me: I ordered a pisound shield for my rPI4.

1/ I’d need to know if I can easily connect it to the rPI4 (on the frontpage, that’s not clear if the pisound got male or female connectors)
2/ I’d need to know if I can use easily the other GPIO for other purpose (I don’t need more)

Thanks for your informations :slight_smile:

Hi, Pisound has a female header, so it mounts on the Pi directly. The GPIO pins that are unused by Pisound are routed out to a 2x7 unpopulated header for your usage. See Pisound Pins documentation.

1 Like

Hi @Giedrius, and thanks a lot. that’s totally clear.
Waiting for the rPI + pisound for checking how I can reuse them (hardware/physical wise) considering thnat the connector between rPi + pisound is totally occupied.

If you really have to, you may solder wires to the RPi pins beneath the mounted Pisound header - a little gap remains when using the supplied hex standoffs. We’ve done this ourselves before with success. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have to figure this out. How much space remaining and how to connect a wire safely at this place.

Thanks.

Would it work to put a 1 to 2 GPIO expansion board in between the Pi and the Pisound? You’d need taller offsets and it wouldn’t fit in the Pisound case. That way you would have the full header to tap off of without having to solder in between. I have not personally tried it as I’m just using the Pisounds in the “official” case and not using any extra GPIO. “40-pin GPIO 1 to 2 Expansion Board for Raspberry Pi” pulls up one on Amazon.

That’s a pretty simple hardware trick which could be really nice both for prototyping & doing the piece I have in mind.

Salut Julien,
I am Jan M from the Max forum. If you don’t mind soldering it is a neat solution. And using the free GPIO pins works well. I do that in several Pisound/RNBO projects that also use the Pi’s serial port.

Cheers Jan

2 Likes

Hi @yunn02, thanks for your answer.