Using midi channels as different presets

I’m setting up a new live set where i have a keystep 37 playing a 4 voice synth via the midihub and i just had a brain wave:

I’m going to setup 16 different pipelines, one for each midi channel, and then remap the midi channels back to the synth’s incoming midi channel. Then i can easily switch between channels on the keystep and have pipelines for things like different arpeggios, chance, random etc. Its really easy to see what channel you’re on on the keystep so this makes it really easy to keep track on in a live situation.

I dont know if this is a common practice, but seems like a good way to utilise some of the more playful possibilities the Midihub can offer.

3 Likes

That’s a really nice idea, Tim. I use Keystep, but never thought of such a lovely simple idea.
(need to think more Channel Agnostic with my keys-in!)
If you have time, will you put up a version on patchstorage when you’ve got a working example?

PS. I guess you need to not to use your 4 knobs for Midihub mapping purposes? Or multiply your mappings by 16!

More than happy to put the patch up when I have something. I don’t know how usable it will be without some tweaks for your setup as i have a slightly strange end section to each pipeline. I am using a flame uQMCV midi module to convert my midi to 4 voices of a E370 eurorack module however the flame polyphonic midi setting doesnt do what i want it to. Instead of cycling through each voice on each press, it it always plays voice 1 unless voice one is held. So i have the midi hub cycling through each voice on different midi channels. I am also thinking of splitting the keyboard for some of the pipes so i have an arp going on a mono synth with the right hand with a couple of octaves for some pads in the left.

not thought about mapping the knobs yet - thats not something i’ve explored yet. But i assume if they output on the midi channel i am sending on, there is no reason not to have them control something in the pipeline. I don’t want to make it too complex though as i’ll get lost when playing live

Yeah, it’s that Change Channel To Change Functionality that’s the crux, not the specific gubbins in each pipe. Just enough difference to illustrate the power of idea would be ideal, I guess, for a public patch

Here’s me testing it changing from Ch2->Ch1:
Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 11.08.24
(note also it’s continuous from Channel To Channel, ie. it doesn’t await a different “pick-up” for each channel)
What it means in terms of Midihub mappings is that

• if you had some pipe common to several (ie. before your split/after your merge) you’d just need to click Map on that Pipe property for each channel (Once done forget about it). On the other hand,
  • for pipes in channel-specific pipelines, you could use the same knob to do different things in different modes. eg. vary the Chance in Channel6 Mode, and the Delay Time in Channel5 Mode. (A bit more live awareness needed; choice would need to feel natural, I guess)

I like this idea more and more…

yes, that makes sense.

yes - it seems really obvious now! It came from me sitting down last night and messing around with the keystep arp wanting to introduce a bit of random velocity and chance and then thinking the midihub is perfect for this.

1 Like

the hallmark of a really good idea, IMO!

1 Like

That “pick-up” issue might become critical if you come to play with mappings for your live set-up, Tim.

So:
great that you might use knob1 for Random in one channel, but Chance in another. But, on first touch of knob1 after channel-change, the values might not be what you desire cos it hasn’t remembered the last values you used within that channel.

(note to self: look back at KS37 manual)

1 Like

ah yes, i get what you mean now. not a deal breaker but definitely something to be aware of.

Had to follow this because I have the same setup (Keystep and Flame) and it sounds really interesting.
Maybe another rotary midi controller could handle the params on different channels, like a Faderfox EC4 or Shik N32B (it’s a new DIY or fully built controller)?

1 Like

ooh nice, I’ve done something similar but its per note for splitting chords notes to different channels. You should try repeats, lfos, delays,note length pipes and sustain pipes in your “presets”. They can make the arpeggio go places that is hard to even imagine and try them in different orders for even more magic. The equalizer pipe is one of the most interesting midi effects in the tool box. It can do some wild sonic expressiveness when automated.

BTW sounds like your problem can be solved by a third Midihub, set up specifically to do rescaling, transforming and controlling the parameters of your pipes in the other 2.

Here is what Im working on. You may find some things that can speed up your own patch creation. Some cool things is I have the delays mapped to a CC and I can decrease/increase multiple delays at different rates. I actually have 2 CCS mapped for this and they each spread out the notes of a chord differently.

The thing you may find most useful is the pipeline scroll. With a CC you can quick scroll through the pipeline “presets”. You could also have multiple pipeline active at a time . You need a loopback though to make anything work.

UltraMega Strum.mhp (7.3 KB)

2 Likes

yeah i have a faderfox EC4 but its tied up with my norns. I should be able to free up a group of knobs though if i need them.

I dont know if you’ve used the flame for polyphony in the modular but i cant understand why they have set it up like they have. My main drive to get the midihub was to fix the way it works so it cycles through the voices so they can have a release that rings over each other.

this looks epic!!! love it. when i sat down last night to start building my patch i realised i’ve not spent too much time with the editor and really just need to put sometime in to experiment as the possibilities are pretty epic!

I dont know about you but i think some kind of label pipe could be really useful. Just something you could through some text in and maybe pick a colour, so you could quickly see what each pipe is doing without having to click through the different modules.

2 Likes

Yeah, definitely, Chris.
BUT…
I was only throwing in a few considerations for the KS37 in CC bank mode cos I thought that the CCs always followed the Channel and therefore would change along with Channel change.

But I’m wrong: that’s only the way it’s set by default:
(Foolish boy, underestimating Arturia!)

Note the Knob1/2 MIDI channel in this snap is the Default User:
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 14.59.01

but when I change them to these:
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 14.59.35

I get this in MIDI monitor:
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 15.03.19

Even though I’ve switched the MIDI channel for the notes from 1->6 the CC31 remains on Ch16.

This has two upshots for you and @Tim:

1. you can have the best of both worlds with pipe mappings from KS37: either have a knob change it’s function according to which channel you’re on or restrict some knob only work on certain channels’ pipelines.
  2. Keep a fixed Channel to modify an attached device (Flame?) by having one pipeline that goes straight out without Channel Filter, but with Filter (out notes) and CC Filter (to remove those for pipe mappings)

So yep you can use your other boxes for Midihub mappings, but can us KS37 too!

I’ll give it a try, maybe there’s a workaround via some fiddling around. The only other thing I could suggest is to set the Flame to 4-mono mode and then set up the ‘Hub to cycle through those channels round robin.

Hi Tim, I do that with my Monomachine to create random MIDI artifacts and glissandos. Using delay and random pitch changes via the Midihub really changes the DNA of the track.

H

1 Like

yeah this is how i have it. I use the dispatcher pipe to split one midi channel across 4 to create the kind of polyphony i want. Works great

1 Like