Upgrade problems

Hi guys,

I’ve been enjoying Pisound for a while, including the button and the Android app, for which I wrote custom patch_list.sh and patch_run.sh scripts (running various Csound patches).

pi@monad:~ $ sudo pisound-config
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/pisound/pisound-config/main.py”, line 138, in
loop.run()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urwid/main_loop.py”, line 274, in run
self.screen.run_wrapper(self._run)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urwid/raw_display.py”, line 268, in run_wrapper
return fn()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urwid/main_loop.py”, line 339, in _run
self.event_loop.run()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urwid/main_loop.py”, line 669, in run
self._loop()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urwid/main_loop.py”, line 706, in _loop
self._watch_filesfd
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urwid/main_loop.py”, line 390, in _update
self.process_input(keys)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urwid/main_loop.py”, line 490, in process_input
k = self._topmost_widget.keypress(self.screen_size, k)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urwid/decoration.py”, line 839, in keypress
return self._original_widget.keypress((maxcol,maxrow-top-bottom), key)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urwid/decoration.py”, line 621, in keypress
return self._original_widget.keypress(maxvals, key)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urwid/container.py”, line 1124, in keypress
return self.body.keypress( (maxcol, remaining), key )
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urwid/listbox.py”, line 987, in keypress
key = focus_widget.keypress((maxcol,),key)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urwid/wimp.py”, line 535, in keypress
self._emit(‘click’)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urwid/widget.py”, line 464, in _emit
signals.emit_signal(self, name, self, *args)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urwid/signals.py”, line 264, in emit
result |= self._call_callback(callback, user_arg, user_args, args)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/urwid/signals.py”, line 294, in _call_callback
return bool(callback(*args_to_pass))
File “/usr/local/pisound/pisound-config/main.py”, line 109, in info_message
ctl_version = values.get_ctl_version()
File “/usr/local/pisound/pisound-config/values.py”, line 133, in get_ctl_version
out = subprocess.check_output([‘pisound-ctl’, ‘–version’])
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py”, line 573, in check_output
raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd, output=output)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command ‘[‘pisound-ctl’, ‘–version’]’ returned non-zero exit status 1

Service status:

pi@monad:~ $ sudo systemctl status pisound-ctl
● pisound-ctl.service - Bluetooth service for Pisound companion app.
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pisound-ctl.service; enabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2018-03-15 21:45:19 UTC; 3s ago
Process: 13693 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pisound-ctl (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 13693 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Mar 15 21:45:19 monad pisound-ctl[13693]: /usr/bin/pisound-ctl: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/pisound-ctl)
Mar 15 21:45:19 monad systemd[1]: pisound-ctl.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar 15 21:45:19 monad systemd[1]: Unit pisound-ctl.service entered failed state.

And finally, if I try to execute pisound-ctl directly, I see:

pi@monad:~ $ sudo pisound-ctl
pisound-ctl: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21’ not found (required by pisound-ctl)
pisound-ctl: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by pisound-ctl)

Any recommendations? my Pi3 is fully up to date with regards to apt.

pi@monad:~ $ uname -a
Linux monad 4.9.35-v7+ #1014 SMP Fri Jun 30 14:47:43 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux
pi@monad:~ $ cat /etc/debian_version

Thanks! I look forward to returning this device to its former glory.

• Dave
1 Like

Awesome! However, the scripting system changed in 1.02 version, so you’ll have to update your scripts accordingly. We could integrate them into the application bundle, so we can keep them in working condition. :wink:

Looks like you are on either ‘Wheezy’ or more likely ‘Jessie’ Raspbian distribution. This should work OK if you upgrade to ‘Stretch’ (Raspbian Stretch has arrived for Raspberry Pi - Raspberry Pi) This might not be a smooth ride, so make a backup of your card if you have the space, just in case. :slight_smile:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /etc/debian_version

Thanks. It’s a bit disappointing that things broke just by updating the software. Would have been better if the installer had a dependency on the updated OS, so that there is some warning for the user, but maybe that’s not so easy to do.

I’m sure that it in the end it will be worth the effort, but there’s a couple of hours of work (at least) that I was really not anticipating, and in the meantime I have to revert to using ssh to run my patches. But please understand, it’s a great product and I’m very happy with it in general.

Thank you for your feedback! Unfortunately it seems there’s no easy way to cover this case with .deb packages themselves.

Going forward, we will be supporting the most recent and 2nd most recent Raspbian OS releases (as of now, ‘Stretch’ and ‘Jessie’) so there should be enough time for users to upgrade their system, and there’s a manageable quantity of combinations for our own testing efforts.

Let us know if you hit any issues while updating your scripts for the new version. :slight_smile:

@DaveSeidel given the rPI uses removable media (sdcard) for its OS, what i do/recommend is having multiple sdcards - one for my ‘stable’ system, ,and another for upgrading/testing.

there are quite a lot of tools that will allow you to copy your OS onto a new sdcard, so its a pretty painless process - and means if there are issues, you still have a working system , whilst you resolve the issues.

Thanks, that’s a good recommendation.