Update to Mod 1.10

I have DM’d you @MrHaste

1 Like

I have the IR cabsim working correctly!! I have a script for patchbox os and soon I will have one for elk audio os too. Must say that the IR’s that I’ve tried so far are sounding amazing!!

3 Likes

Dude, that’s awesome! Elk too! I can wait to try out the IR’s.

Any chance of sharing the scripts? :smiley:

I will upload to GitHub later today with all the instructions required.

4 Likes

Alright, so here is the link to my GitHub. Please note that this only installs 4 LV2 plugins. It would be best if you copy your MODEP plugins folder to a local directory(I use winscp) before installing and then copy them back to ~patch/.lv2

git clone https://github.com/micahvdm/mod.git
cd mod
sudo chmod +x install.sh
sudo ./install.sh

3 Likes

Hello deathbeard,

I tried to follow your instructions but unfortunately I ran into some errors.
The first mistake I’ve got was because I cloned the repo into the home directory with the name “mod” and the script wants to create a directory with the same name in this folder :frowning: After that I had to delete the “/home/patch/.lv2” that was created by the script in line 15. I think in line 104 the option -r is missing. Also I’m not sure if the filenames of the services are correct. For example mod-host.service is named modep-mod-host.service in my version (latest Modep-Image, freshly installed). Do you use another version of Modep?

Now I’m facing the problem that mod-ui service (i renamed the file to modep-mod-ui and replaced the old one with it) won’t start.
sudo journalctl -r --unit modep-mod-ui gives the following output:

Jul 01 08:11:23 patchbox systemd[1]: modep-mod-ui.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jul 01 08:11:23 patchbox systemd[1]: modep-mod-ui.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jul 01 08:11:23 patchbox mod-ui[28197]: jack client deactivated NOT
Jul 01 08:11:23 patchbox mod-ui[28197]: jack client deactivated NOT
Jul 01 08:11:23 patchbox mod-ui[28197]: Host failed to initialize, is the backend running?
Jul 01 08:11:23 patchbox mod-ui[28197]: Writesock none
Jul 01 08:11:23 patchbox mod-ui[28197]: Readsock none
Jul 01 08:11:23 patchbox mod-ui[28197]: last state file does not exist or is corrupt
Jul 01 08:11:23 patchbox mod-ui[28197]: cc start socket missing
Jul 01 08:11:23 patchbox mod-ui[28197]: Using FakeHMI => <mod.development.FakeHMI object at 0xb5af3810>
Jul 01 08:11:23 patchbox mod-ui[28197]: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'writeTimeout'
Jul 01 08:11:23 patchbox mod-ui[28197]: ERROR: Failed to open HMI serial port, error was:
Jul 01 08:11:23 patchbox mod-ui[28197]: DEBUG:root:[host] popped from queue: transport 0 4.000000 120.000000
Jul 01 08:11:21 patchbox systemd[1]: Started MOD-UI.
Jul 01 08:11:21 patchbox systemd[1]: Stopped MOD-UI.
Jul 01 08:11:21 patchbox systemd[1]: modep-mod-ui.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 2.
Jul 01 08:11:21 patchbox systemd[1]: modep-mod-ui.service: Service RestartSec=2s expired, scheduling restart.

I really don’t get it and would be so glad if you could help me!

Hey @mgcmshr I have updated the script a bit.

Please note that you need to run this on a clean patchbox install. DO NOT INSTALL MODEP. It will clash with MODEP.
The script will now use Mod-Host hotfix-1.10 branch as the master doesn’t work properly due to recent changes.

I have also added that the clone folder gets renamed first before it clones anything else.

Please clone and run the script on a fresh install of patchbox without activating any modules.

This is not MODEP, but pure Mod.

Thank you very much @deathbeard!!!

There was a little problem before moving the .service files to the system folder. A cd into this directory is missing but i just separated this last part from the script and ran it afterwards.
It’s working now. I had to change some settings in the mod-ui.service and set connections manually.
I assume that the IR files have to be placed into the ~/data/user-files/Speaker Cabinets IRs folder?!

I think IRs are pushing the guitar sound to a new level! I love it! :slight_smile:

FYI: I used a Pi 4 8GB

Before I completely overwrite my current installation do you know if this will work if I simply uninstall he modep packages on an existing installation?

I would suggest using a separate SD card to test this out. From my experience, there are a lot of errors and issues with installing it on a setup that had MODEP running already, just due to services etc.

1 Like

It can be uninstalled by removing all APT packages that start with ‘modep’ :slight_smile: To install it back again, do sudo apt install modep

@deathbeard could you share the elk scripts? I have been toying with that os as well

I have unfortunately abandoned elk as it requires me to write drivers for my audio card(audio injector zero). It’s a nice platform, but very closed as far as support goes. It would be better to stick either with patchbox or something similar(I’m playing with realtimepi). My script will work on most raspbian based distros.

ahh yeah. honestly it is fairly obtuse and arduous to get anything going on the system. i got the highfi berry, not a bad price point but getting something useable is painful.

@deathbeard
hi, I’m trying this and after a few issues I have it up and running but here are my issues at present, maybe you can point me in the right direction

1. the file manager won’t let me upload anything (even after changing ownership to the folder - just produces a “server error” and does nothing
  2. even after copying manually the .wav files in the same directory of the IR loader they won’t show up in the list

I’ve checked the files to see if there was a reference but couldn’t find anything concrete

thanx in advance if you can help

Hey @1Bit sounds like the browsepy server is not running. Sounds like something went wrong during the install. Did you run the script on a fresh patchbox install? I used the script 3 days ago and it worked straight up. Maybe try on a fresh patchbox install on a 2nd SD(just in case)

I also just updated the script to remove the hotfix-1.10 branch as it is not needed anymore

hey @deathbeard
yes it was freshly installed but was playing about with Jack and other modules
I am trying again now without doing anything
just went through the initial setup
choosing the sound card for Jack and changed the password

let’s see how it goes this time :slight_smile:
will post later

ok so tried again
fresh install of patchbox and fresh installed the mod
I’ve managed to copy manually my IR to the correct folder and now they show up but the IR loader doesn’t work regardless of which wav file I use - just create no sound
actually none of the simulators works
sound is heard when you switch them off but when on, no sound :\
the browsepy still produces the same error “internal server error” when you try to upload something
could it be that the folder is owned by the root account?

also, I had to manually copy the service file as somehow didn’t make it to the systemd folder

not sure, I’ll play a little more with this but surely something is not working for me :slight_smile:
if you have any tips for troubleshooting possible issues let me know
thanx