(UNO) SYNTH (Pro X) stops responding to MIDI Note messages

Hello,

Strange problem with one of my synths when connected to my Midihub. The UNO Synth Pro X acts normally / as expected after a fresh start, but it stops responding to incoming MIDI Notes after I’ve started and stopped my sequencer(s) just once. All other information seems to be received and/or processed normally, so I can restart the sequence and change tempo. So start / stop and clock seem to work, but I cannot play notes on my KeyStep Pro or trigger it from my Digitakt (it normally fires when selecting a track).

The BSP is clock master and the USPX is set to MIDI channel 1, so it responds to sequencer / track 1 on the BSP. As said, with everything freshly rebooted, I can play notes on the keyboard and the UNO responds as expected. Same goes for track 4 on the BSP, it is set to channel 14 on which the DT is listening for its ‘selected track’. It routes the played notes nicely to the USPX when I have a MIDI track selected that’s sends on MIDI channel 1. This all stops working after I hit play and stop on the KSP…

What MIDI data could possibly overload or be missed on the USPX side that could result is this kind of behavior? It doesn’t matter if I use MIDI over USB or DIN. Hopefully some of you can clarify things up for me or point me in the right direction, before I have to send the USPX in for inspection. Thanks!

Regards,
Maik

Hey, please upload the preset you currently use on your Midihub. (please ensure the MIDI ports are named so we know which ports are in use for what device)

I’d suggest you try and find the minimal amount of MIDI messages sent from Midihub to USPX to make it stop responding to notes (use the MIDI Monitor pane to see the exact output). Then post it up here, we can take a look and determine if the sequence seems valid.

Hereby the configuration of the Midihub.

The selected Pipe shows the Channel Filter from KSP to USPX.
Same Pipe settings apply to the From Polyend Play and From Digitakt to USPX.

Only the KSP sends CLOCK and TRANSPORT, all others are set to Receive only.

it stops responding to incoming MIDI Notes after I’ve started and stopped my sequencer(s) just once.

Hey @MaikR-010, it would be useful to see a shot of MIDI Monitor output at the USB-out after the one shown above:

• change the MIDI Monitor Settings so that Clock is filtered out
  • state whether notes stop after Start or Stop

I know the KS37 sends out a CC† as well as Transport messages; it maybe that one of these is having an effect down the line…

† I think this can be configured in Arturia MIDI Control Centre thing

1 Like

Hello, and good morning (as it’s 07.10 over here),

Sorry I didn’t respond earlier, but I had the flu and tied to my bed. I hope to submit the requested information this evening.

Regards,
Maik

Hey, Maik, no worries– often folk just click the Like :hearts: then go off for a while to think and test!

By the way, there’s a bit in the tutorial I think you’ve done, just above this bit…

…which shows the Keystep producing extra CCs on Start/Stop.

(I’m not sure why the good folks at Arturia have done this but a CC Range Filter will to get rid of the unwanted CC54 & CCC51 messages)

1 Like

Before I’m starting to filter some unwanted / extra messages from the KSP, I wanted share with you the findings by analyzing the MIDI monitor.

• It seems START, STOP and PAUSE also send additional SysEx data.
  • When already stopped, an extra STOP only sends the SysEx data.
  • PAUSE (same as PLAY button) sends the same commands as STOP button.
  • Before starting all sequencers (sending START/STOP and CLOCK) playing notes looks normal.
  • After using the START/STOP or PAUSE (and/or CLOCK) the first notes played look strange to me.

Hopefully this helps with problem finding… and solving :wink: Thanks for the help and useful tip thus far!

1 Like

Nice Graphics!

Now let me take a proper look…

OK,

• First the stuff about CC56 etc I mentioned before refers to KS37 so that’s irrelevant!

• the Unknown stuff you’re getting in the Monitor may just be to do with the fact that it’s set up to deal with 3 bytes of data at a time and Sysex doesn’t follow that pattern. @Giedrius will advise on this when he’s around, no doubt! (beyond my skill-set…)

• Plugging in KeyStep Pro , I see the Sysex too (and no way in the “Control Center” to turn it off it seems)†

Here’s a Start Stop Sysex Filtered Out

† My firmware is out of date. I wonder if there’s now a way…
(I’m not seeing Stop like you are)

So, get ya Filters On, Maik!

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

And… WHOOP WHOOP!!
Problem solved :blush: :partying_face:

It seems the KSP doesn’t send the ‘crippled’ events when SysEx is filtered out.
Or could the Midihub be involved in the ‘distorted’ note information?

Anyway, in my setup it is mainly the USPX that seems to get stuck by it.

1 Like

The pipe you’ve selected above, Maik, is after the Filter so that’s why your display is looking cleaner.

As I hinted, " ‘distorted’ note information" is probably more a Sysex-related display issue rather than anything more serious

Glad you’re off and running!

PS. are the graphics OmniGraffle for Mac?

Okay, so it’s only the USPX that doesn’t respond well to the SysEx data (generated by the KSP)?

Ps. graphics are made in Snagit. It’s an image editor from TechSmith, mainly focused on e-learning and online help content. They also develop Camtasia, a tool for more instructional and interactive video content.

1 Like

Yes.
You can check this by monitoring the Input pipe FROM KEYSTEP

Yes, but I think I will test this also with a direct connection.

I can see that the software shows the information as ‘from KSP’, but I don’t know what kind of internal processing already took place. Or is is that ‘raw’?

AFAIK, the Monitor at any input shows all the data incoming.
Don’t forget your Monitor Settings, tho’: you can toggle various data types on&off so, if you changed them previously, some lines may be hidden from view.

Still curious why the Sysex is mucking up the Uno; I’d expect it to have Arturia id bytes so should be ignored.

Yes I know from the tutorials how to filter the Monitor, but this wasn’t the only reason why the output was cleaner.

After adding the suggested SysEx Filter to the Pipe the ‘crippled’ and blank Note events were gone, too. When removing the SysEx filter they show up again.

This I don’t understand. It seems to me as if the incoming signal is contaminated already and the that USPX is more prone to it then my other gear.

I’m not too worried about this, Maik:

• almost certain the Sysex is a normal part of KSP transport actions…
    …worth checking the Arturia Center to see if poss to switch tho’

• also pretty sure your Monitor weirdness is just a Monitor artifact

• main thing is that the Sysex Filter solves the problem with the USPX

Maybe worth opening an Arturia ticket about it– I’ve found them really helpful and they might like to know!

1 Like