Transform Pipe examples, anyone?

Thinking of starting a Tutorial Development topic unpicking the properties of this versatile pipe.

It would be really useful to have a wider range of use examples beyond my own
(I’ve probably used less than half the possible What|Into options).

Examples with patches/screenshots (inc any mappings) added below most appreciated.

Thanks in advance…

1 Like

I have one that implements a delay pipe for MIDI transport messages. The current delay pipe only supports notes. I’m using the transform pipe after the delay pipe to work around that.

1 Like

useful to have some Transforms to ‘Transport’ messages
nicely documented, thx!

Some useful uses for Transform is for creating triggerable actions, like I’ve seen one MIDI keyboard lacking proper Transport controls (start, stop, continue), so it’s possible to workaround that by making some pads produce these messages.

Another interesting use would be to use Transform together with Sync Delay, so Transform converts some trigger message into Start, sends it to Sync Delay pipe to produce or drop Clock to nudge the pattern forward or backward. Similar technique can be used to manually trigger Arp steps, or even mess around with synced pipes like LFO or Delay, but not sure how useful that is in practice. :slight_smile:

Indeed. I’ll make a mention of that (with a user example if anyone posts one :grinning:)

Transform together with Sync Delay, so Transform converts some trigger message into Start, sends it to Sync Delay pipe to produce or drop Clock

@szszoke would that work your dg/dt patch ?

Similar technique can be used to manually trigger Arp steps, or even mess around with synced pipes like LFO or Delay

Anyone got an example of either of these?
I’d like to see a Sync Delay Primer as a separate primer!

Here:

I made a patch that transforms note numbers into velocity values for MPC-style 16 Levels functionality. Is that the kind of thing you mean?

Yes, post it up please, Danny:

As Transform is such a versatile pipe, I think it would be useful to have a Deep Dive ( maybe borrow the Minibrute “CookBook” language?) which would show eachother in-context transformations that we might not think of by ourselves.

1 Like

This is my basic 16 Levels patch.

16 Levels is a feature of Akai MPC hardware and other pad-based samplers. It allows you to play a single sample, like a hi-hat, at 16 different velocity levels from the 16 pads. It allows for easy live input of percussion patterns with accurate and consistent velocities.

My patch allows me to do the same across 2 octaves of a MIDI keyboard instead of 16 pads.

This patch uses Transform to:

1. Change all incoming note numbers to C4, the base note of the sample
  2. Change the note velocity to the note number

Then it uses Rescale to scale the velocity from a range of 60-84 (the low/high notes of the 2 octaves) to 0-127. Anything played below note 60 plays velocity 1. Anything above note 84 plays velocity 127.

To change which base note the keys play (if your sample base note is different, like C3) you would change Argument 1 (C4) in Transform.

To change which 2 octaves (or more, or less) control the velocity levels you would change the In Low (60) and In High (84) values in Rescale.

16-Levels.mhp (332 Bytes)

2 Likes