TouchOSC2MIDI failure message

I recently installed the updated Patchbox image and the latest MODEP, but I keep getting a failed message when i perform a status check. It also says “default interface not found. Check you network or use --ip switch.”

I’m pretty sure I’m missing something simple but any help would be great!

Is the system connected to the network? Does restarting the service help? (sudo systemctl restart touchosc2midi, or sudo systemctl restart modep-touchosc2midi if running MODEP module)

I still get the same error message. I checked the wifi hotspot connection and it’s active and running. MODEP is working fine, but when i check the MIDI ports section, TouchOSC appears but not touchosc2midi. I’ve got TouchOSCBridge running as well.

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 11.41.32 AM

Would any of the Github TouchOSC scripts help?

I restarted modep-touchosc2midi and got this message:

Failed to rerstart modep-touchosc2midi.service: Unit rerstart modep-touchosc2midi.service is masked

???

It’s actually the touchosc2midi port.

What do you mean by this? Is this some additional software?

Also, try reactivating MODEP module:

patchbox module deactivate
patchbox module activate modep

TouchOSC Bridge is an app that receives a signal from smartphones/tablets running TouchOSC alowing MIDI info to go to and from the computer and tablet. With the previous MODEP setup, when the host name “modep” would appear, i would select it and then I’d be able to map the controls from TouchOSC to MODEP parameters.

Now whenever “patchbox” appears and i select it, I can’t map any parameters from TouchOSC. I have noticed that when i start jack through the patchbox setup menu, in ALSA sequencer, it shows the connections made to the MIDI ports but when I start the wifi hotspot, I can’t connect to patchbox.local or 172.24.1.1. It says refused to connect.
As far as MODEP and touchosc2midi goes, it’s all working.

I hope this makes some kind of sense Giedrius, and I appreciate your patience!

Got the failed touchosc2midi message again.

here’s what comes up when I do a status check:

touchosc2midi.service - TouchOsc2Midi service
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/touchosc2midi.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2020-04-08 12:42:13 BST; 5min ago
Main PID: 1860 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Apr 08 12:42:13 patchbox touchosc2midi[1860]: load_entry_point(‘touchosc2midi==0.0.10’, ‘console_scripts’, ‘touchosc2midi’)()
Apr 08 12:42:13 patchbox touchosc2midi[1860]: File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/touchosc2midi/touchosc2midi.py”, line 160, in main
Apr 08 12:42:13 patchbox touchosc2midi[1860]: psa = Advertisement(ip=options.get(’–ip’))
Apr 08 12:42:13 patchbox touchosc2midi[1860]: File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/touchosc2midi/advertise.py”, line 53, in init
Apr 08 12:42:13 patchbox touchosc2midi[1860]: self.info = build_service_info(ip=ip or default_route_interface())
Apr 08 12:42:13 patchbox touchosc2midi[1860]: File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/touchosc2midi/advertise.py”, line 28, in default_route_interface
Apr 08 12:42:13 patchbox touchosc2midi[1860]: raise RuntimeError(“default interface not found. Check your network or use --ip switch.”)
Apr 08 12:42:13 patchbox touchosc2midi[1860]: RuntimeError: default interface not found. Check your network or use --ip switch.
Apr 08 12:42:13 patchbox systemd[1]: touchosc2midi.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr 08 12:42:13 patchbox systemd[1]: touchosc2midi.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.

Hey, I’ve made some fixes to touchosc2midi package which should make it more resilient to network changes. Please try the updated version, to get it, do:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install touchosc2midi

Then reboot your system and try MODEP again.

Also, I couldn’t get the service advertisement which is visible in Touch OSC apps to work in all possible situations - the advertisement itself seems to be tied to a single network interface, in case the hotspot or wifi connection is active, multiple network interfaces are in use on Raspberry Pi, so either an incorrect IP could be given when you select ‘patchbox’ in the list, or it may not even appear. Anyway, entering the IP manually would work around these situations. (like 172.24.1.1 in case the RPi is in hotspot mode)

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Switching Patchbox modules fails

Thanks for your help Giedrius!

1 Like

It’s working now with MODEP! Thanks again!

1 Like