Splitting incoming midi notes even/odd to separate outs or two channels

Is it possible to have a stream of incoming midi notes into midihub and then split them based on them being even or odd note numbers either of these two ways?

1. across separate midi outs on midihub

or

1. across two separate midi channels on the same out on midihub

I’m trying to accomplish a seamless poly chain of two identical synthesizers and have them each only play half of the notes that are being sent to them both.

Hi, Charles,
Dispatcher set for just Ch 1 & Ch 2 would split alternate notes to alternate channels.

(It needs Note Off messages too, i think)

1 Like

If your synths support some form of polyphony, and you want to send even notes to one, odd notes to the other, you should use all 16 channels, sent to say Virtual A port, then have two From Virtual A pipelines with Channel Filter, Channel Remap and TO X Output pipes. One Channel Filter should be set up to drop odd channel numbers, the other even numbers. The Channel Remap is optional and can be used to redirect all the dispatched notes back to a single channel before sending to one of the synths.

To visualize this better:

[FROM MIDI A] → [DISPATCHER] → [TO VIRTUAL A]
[FROM VIRTUAL A] → [CH FILTER (odd)] → [CH REMAP] → [TO MIDI A]
[FROM VIRTUAL A] → [CH FILTER (even)] → [CH REMAP] → [TO MIDI B]

2 Likes

I’ve never used virtual pipes and this whole thing is so confusing.

I need to read more and experiment with the editor more I’m so over my head with this device in general.

Just take it bit by bit Charles, and keep watching the MIDI Monitor to see what each pipe does.

Here’s two key pipes in @Giedrius’ set-up:

Here’s the Dispatcher with all the channels ticked:

Screen Shot 2024-03-13 at 17.30.19

Now here’s one of the Channel Filters:

Screen Shot 2024-03-13 at 17.30.36

Now let’s watch the Dispatcher for the first 7 notes:

See how my keyboard is set to Ch.9…
…but Dispatcher changes that, “sharing out” the notes among the channels

The last channel “allocated” was Ch7

(in this shot, I've used Note Numbers)

but you can change that in the View menu if you like

See also how Dispatcher “remembers” which channel each Note Off should go to.

Now all these notes go out of Virtual A -OUT
…and will go in to both Virtual A -IN pipes…

…so let’s look at a Channel Filter and continue to hit keys:

First, see how the next note come in on Channel 8 (because that’s the next “Dispatched” channel)

Now notice that not all the notes get through (only the notes on certain channels)

(Notice also that the last note is on Channel 1. That’s the Dispatcher at work again)

OK, Charles, that’s a little example of using the Monitor to start to figure out what’s going on.

Much better, though, when you see it yourself as you select pipes and see what’s happening note-by-note.

Let us know how you get along.
(Post up pics like these –showing the pipe and the monitor– if you want ask “Why am I getting this?”)