Set-up Pi sound for Pure data

Hi,

I’m trying to set-up my pi sound with Raspberry Pi3+. I’m following the instruction for respbian and after installing using curl https://blokas.io/pisound/install.sh | sh I’m checking if all is OK using
amidi -l
arecord -l
aplay -l

and this is what I get

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ amidi -l
Dir Device Name
IO hw:2,0 pisound MIDI PS-0EZYE48
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 2: pisound [pisound], device 0: PS-0EZYE48 snd-soc-dummy-dai-0 [PS-0EZYE48 snd-soc-dummy-dai-0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1], device 0: bcm2835 HDMI 1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 4/4
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
Subdevices: 4/4
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 2: pisound [pisound], device 0: PS-0EZYE48 snd-soc-dummy-dai-0 [PS-0EZYE48 snd-soc-dummy-dai-0]
Subdevices: 1/1
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

I believe something is wrong with the audio settings of my Raspberry card.

I installed Pure data and set audio following the instructions but I’m not able to launch Pure data using the button on Pi sound.

Please support me step by step to fix the issue

Thanks in advance for the support and help.
Francesco

Hey, clicking the button once searches for a Pure Data patch in external storage like USB key, or in /usr/local/puredata-patches. It tries to locate ‘main.pd’ as the entry point for the patch. The first one found is the one launched.

Also, if you’re using VNC remote desktop connection, keep a terminal window open there, so it’s easier for the button scripts to find the correct Linux virtual display to use.

Btw, we’d recommend using Patchbox OS as it has Pure Data ready to go, and quite a few minor configuration tweaks for smoother experience working with audio applications.

Hi Giedrius,
I’ll try with patchbox and by tomorrow let you know about the progress.
Many Thanks for now.
Francesco

1 Like

Hi Giedrius,

Patchbox is the clear solution, all looks to work well.

Sometimes, during the same day, I have issues launching Pure data with the button, not always when I press the button once pure data starts.
I will keep testing in the following days and if I have issues I will come back.

I have a couple of questions regarding Pure data that I’m sure that you can help:

1- Where can I find freeverb~? Trying all day to download libraries but freeverb is not available.
2- Pi sound audio input can be used in Pure data with adc~?

Thanks again
Francesco

Please create new topic for different issues, especially once the topic changes :slight_smile:

Yes, adc~ can be used with Pisound input.

You should be able to find freeverb~ using Help->Find externals, pick the armv7l one. You may have to edit the search path in the PD’s settings, or add [declare -path] (or -lib) object as necessary. Searching the Community history, looks like @anon86906493 had it set up at some point and may provide some insight. :slight_smile: