Quick question regarding Note Range Filter

Hi

I was reading in the Midihub Docs regarding the Note Range Filter. It says:

(Filter) “C# in the 8th octave.”

Which can be written as = C#7.

What if I write only C# (no octave designation)?
Does it then filter all C# across all octaves. I would expect that but it’s not written in clear… hence my question.

Thanks!

Solution:
Try it in Midihub Editor (no Midihub needed):

entering:

gives:

Not So Quick Explanation:

That’s for the Editor, “C#” (without defining an octave) is meaningless…

• …as far as Note Range Filter can figure out:
    (it either means ‘no octaves’ or ‘11 octaves’; hence it concludes ‘None’)
  • Note Range Filter it has exactly the same structure as CC Range Filter;
  • so it’s easiest to think of both as handling sets of numerical ranges
    (the Note Value Display is just conveniently human-readable display – ‘under the hood’ they both just work with whole numbers)
  • The numerical equivalent for both would be setting the Ranges as 1, 13, 25, 37, …
    (try it: paste that in and change ViewNote Value Display)
  • so each of the distinct C#'s would be one of the “9 argument values which are shared for the interval ranges, as well as single values”
  • so the maximum number of C#'s you can define with one pipe (unless you are subsuming some within ranges) is 9.
    ( as manual says, can use more than one pipe)

What you are expecting would need a different pipe design; a Note Modulo Filter could be generative fun (particularly with parallel pipelines)~ “filter every 7th note starting from B3”

Thanks. I have missed that I could run the editor alone to figure these kind of things out. My plan was to test it when I got home from work, but I forgot.
Anyway there are 9 arguments available per pipe so it isn’t a big problem to solve. Good to know there isn’t an shortcut that I thought there might be (depending on situation of use).

Good

(Intrigued now by what you were planning with “Only the C#'s” or “Everything but the C#'s”!)

Regarding the C#s whereabouts or not… I just hate them. Simple as that.

Just kidding…

Well, I have an idea/plan of making an pseudo pedal steel setup. With an pitch shifter pedal, slide and ordinary electric guitar. Basic idea without exact details (that I am working on in my head so far until I have all gear):

Guitar(slide) > Compressor > Sonuus G2M > Midihub > Pitch Shifter pedal

The pitch shifter pedal accepts MIDI control over the pitch voices. So I am playing around with some ideas of how to make different pedalsteel ‘moves’ (i e pitch bending certain notes in a chord etc). As I am forced to play monophonic notes with the Sonuus G2M (guitar to midi converter), there might be i e some notes that I don’t want the pitch shifter to ‘play’ within a scale.

Then there could also be notes that I myself are not aware of what the Midihub might be up to, to play at any given moment (Chance and/or Random pipes). But that are still harmonically correct to what I am playing and ‘moving’ (bending) while I am holding my own note still.

So it is kind of uncharted territory and thus lots of creative ideas going around in how to actually implement them and how much that can be done with the help of the Midihub.

so you want to drop them rather than use Scale Remap to “scale-quantise” them?

Not always, it depends on situation/song/idea I guess.

(I forgot to mention an upward/downward/both - footswitch in my previous post. I’ll get to it further down.)

There will be lots of trial and error in both ways. I’m always looking for a (IMHO) ‘musical’ results. The problem with anything music/notes randomized isn’t to get it happen. It is to get it happen ‘tastefully’. And sometimes, the most tasteful way is to actually be silence instead. And one way to get that is to set a limit in some way or other.

It is an idea that seems to occur to me repeatedly. On my computer I am working on a structure to use with Stochas Randomizer VST together with drumsamples (for home improvisations and/or song writing).
It is really easy to get it playing ‘randomly’. But how do you actually set an limited structure that superimpose the randomness so that you get an ‘human limit potential’ (two arms and two legs, as a drummer)? Thus primarly, which random hits are ‘allowed together’ as it would be actually possible for a drummer to play in such way? Secondly, how do you set it to ‘tasteful’?

It is a similar thought regarding the pedalsteel, how do you superimpose a set of (midihub) rules that mimics an human player? That is still randomness, and yet follows you in the grand scheme? An really good pedalsteel player is very selective which note he/she is bending in the chord.
Still there are also some human limits. I e the steelbar, the spread of notes across the octaves (the strings), which chord note(s) to bend upward/downward/both (their pedals and/or knee levers). Which in my way will be the expression footswitches. Think spring loaded pedals, similar to piano sustain/damper pedals but with a CC range instead of only just the typical On/Off.

So Sonuus G2M transmit the leading note from me, midihub superimpose a set of rules that controls pitch shifter pedal voices. The expression footswitches bends the notes upwards/downwards/both.

And we will all live happily ever after… :+1::wink:

2 Likes