Questions about midihub

Hey,

I’m new to this forum and I’m looking for some answers about the midihub.
I will try to explain the things I want to know about midihub as good as possible.

I’m playing with a hardware setup, the machines involved in the questions i have are the Elektron Analog Rytm mk2, digitakt and 2 desktop synths (virus ti snow and toraiz as-1)

Let me start with this… with these machines all goes well like i want it, the rytm is master and sends clock and pattern changes to the digitakt. that digitakt runs together with the rytm and sends midi to my 2 desktop synths. very important thing, everytime i switch a pattern on the rytm the digitakt follows. Also very important, my digitakt sends the midi notes to the desktop synth but also bank and program changes so every drum pattern from the rytm plays together with the matched synth melodies and patches.

Now here comes the thing when I would like to know more about midihub. I bought a toraiz squid sequencer some weeks ago and I am totally in love with it, this sequencer just asks to be played live. So I would like to switch my digitakt with the squid for my live performance… the thing is that this sequencer (squid) does not receive pattern changes over midi, and also can not send bank and program changes to the desktop synths.
So i can only use it when i manually search for the right pattern and patch that matches the right drum pattern, which is not what i want…

Is this a thing midihub could work for? i really searched other ways and didn’t find anything that worked in the way i want it, so this midihub that i just came across could maybe do this. If it doesn’t i will have to stay with my trusty digitakt and hope that a future firmware update changes this (basic sequencer) functions.

I hope someone could help me further with this…

Thanks in advance

Hey, you could use Midihub to translate some specific message(s) produced by toraiz squid sequencer into the required messages for the other device. Like convert a special note on a dedicated channel, or particular note number, to an appropriate program change message or a couple of messages, using the Transform pipe.

The Transform pipe can either replace a message entirely or insert a brand new message, based on the data in the source message it’s set to work with.

How convenient it is to set this up depends on how many special combinations you require, and whether it’s possible to apply general logic to such transforms. It’s very simple to set up converting of a note number on say channel 16 to the same program change number, and forward it to appropriate channels and devices. It could be inconvenient however, if there’s no linear relationship between the original note number and the prorgam change numbers that must get produced, as it would require quite a few pipes to be placed to handle each cases.

1 Like