Pisound + Raspberry Pi 5: Hanging MIDI Notes

Using a Raspberry Pi 5 with Pisound I frequently get hanging MIDI Notes when using the DIN MIDI in.
I use RNBO and wonder if that’s a Pisound or a RNBO issue. RNBO connects to Jack and USB MIDI interfaces work fine. So i suspect it may be Pisound related.

Has anybody experienced this as well or might have a tip how to troubleshoot this issue?

Any thoughts are very welcome!

What is the output of uname -a?

Hello Giedrius,
uname -a reports:

Linux rnbo-rp5 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-2712 #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 1:6.6.20-1+rpt1 (2024-03-07) aarch64 GNU/Linux

Could you please send me the full output of dmesg?

I attach the output as a text file. It’s too long to fit int a reply.

Thanks for looking into this!

dmesg.txt (40.4 KB)

Looks like the Pisound you’re using is running firmware 1.01 - you should upgrade to 1.03.

If anyone wonders, you can check your Pisound firmware version by running:

cat /sys/kernel/pisound/version

The steps to upgrade the firmware are here:

However, as this hasn’t been needed in a very long time, the scripts are very likely not compatible with bookworm or the Pi 5.

Do you have an option to do the Pisound firmware upgrade on Pi 3 or 4, running bullseye or buster Raspberry Pi OS or Patchbox OS? The scripts should work fine for them.

I successfully upgraded the firmware to 1.03 using a Pi4. The next days I’ll be able to make some tests on a Pi5 and let you know how it went.

1 Like

After running first test, the firmware upgrade seems to have solved the issue. I’ll now mount it back to my rig and test how it behaves in a more complex setup. Thanks a lot for your help, Giedrius

1 Like