PiSound for Video Synth

Hahahah - nice, I kind of given up (almost sold my PiSound)ā€¦ allright, time to get to work for this on the PiSound!

Are you trying it on the PiSound?

tried on an extra pi4 but canā€™t get past a black screen, but Iā€™m also messing around with a really weird long screen, so I may wait to try on something with some standard resolutions. Iā€™ll try on my pisound once Ive had a chance to backup the system as Iā€™ve been playing around with MODEP quite a bit lately :sweat_smile:

I donā€™t think youā€™ll see anything on the GUI as it will be used for the video synth, you should only be able to connect to it trough ssh or the web interface. My raspberry pi is fried and I used the last 3 on another project which is now gone. I had to order a new raspberry pi so I canā€™t test it for a while :frowning:

Iā€™ve got the webinterface up, but when I try to start it, it tries to start, but the x errors out. Tried installing on pisound, but the install script seems to be expecting the pi user rather than patch, which makes me think I might have better luck with the pi4

Did it produce any errors? If not, it may still work - the /home/pi is symlinked to /home/patch to handle some of the cases where ā€˜piā€™ name is assumed.

The systemd stuff is hardcoded to /home/pi/Eyesy and expects a pi/pi user/group. Not sure what happens with symlinks and systemd tho.

Those references could all be changed to patch I suppose. Iā€™d suggest forking the repo and modifying as needed for pisound/patchbox

I was thinking Iā€™d try to get this working on patchbox, but never found the time to do so.

1 Like

This should be fine as is on Patchbox.

The systemd .service files should be edited then to use patch for both.

How Iā€™ve solved it for MODEP .deb packages was to create a dedicated modep user for running the relevant services, so they can be installed both on Raspbian and Patchbox. Not sure if the same solution would work in your case too. Just in case, hereā€™s a modep-common package on which modep-mod-host and modep-mod-ui depend, so that modep user is there by the time they get installed:

https://github.com/BlokasLabs/modep-debs/blob/master/modep-common/debian/postinst

Hello, I did install @okyeron EYESY on RasPi4 8GB w/ Pisound and itā€™s working very well! Thanks to @okyeron and to the Blokas community for the support.

I have some experience with Linux, Arduino and C, plus the Google-fu is strong with me, so I mixed several information and tutorials together and when I encountered a problem I found a solution than it was more empirical or based on information I gathered here in the community or on some other forums.

I would like to post a step-by-step guide for not programmer like me to set their Pi for EYESY without too much headache :slight_smile:

One of the tutorial I followed is ā€œHeadless Pi start to finishā€ from @mzero and I was guessing if itā€™s possible to repost part of it into my guide (giving due credits, of course).

3 Likes

Awesome to read. I finally receive back my raspberry pi, and connected it to the PiSound (I had to use my Rpi in another project). So the plan is to try to install all this in the coming week. Iā€™ll report back here. @jqrsound Iā€™ll look for updates when you post that step by step.

Yeah, itā€™s really fun to play with Eyesy and PD, also the MIDI implementation is great :slight_smile:

The step-by-step guide is actually ready, because I did copy/paste every step while I was installing and setting the Pi, as a reminder for myself in case I had to start again from the beginning.

But I read on the Community Guidelines that Iā€™m not suppose to post somebodyā€™s else work, so I donā€™t know if Iā€™m allowed (everybody is credited of course, Iā€™m not taking any prize).
Iā€™d like to ask @Giedrius or the moderators how can I post it.

Yes, that should be totally fine. :slight_smile: That bit is about copyrighted work that could cause legal troubles, like uploading music you have no rights to as file attachments to your post (in other word, piracy). Linking to other peopleā€™s content is fine, and referencing and reusing tutorials posted by other users should be completely ok. :slight_smile:

@ponnuki yeah, today I had some spare time, so I posted the guide :smiley:
@Giedrius I hope is all fine, formatting and such.

3 Likes

Wow this is a such detail explanation! Iā€™ll go trough it maybe tonight, but Iā€™ll skip the X window part and VNC as I am comfortable on the command line. Thanks for all the work!

Youā€™re welcome :slight_smile:
I hope itā€™ll work for others too, so far everything is stable and EYESY responds well to Midi and Audio.
My plan is to use it live connected to an MPC One, but letā€™s see when the time will come if the heat wonā€™t be a major problem.

Sweet - yeah I have a few Midi device that Iā€™ll be happy to connect to! Also working with a Octatrack, where I can configure the midi out, but Iā€™d like the midi to also come from my synth so the visual are based on the audio + midi. Anyway, looking forward to experiment with this.

1 Like

Cool, than maybe check Step 17 to enable Midi Thru :slight_smile:
I thought about using the RasPi in insert for both audio and Midi, but the audio part itā€™s too risky in a live setup, so I only enabled Midi Thru.

My setup will be like:

MPC Midi Out ā†’ Pisound Midi In ā†’ Pisound Midi Thru/Out ā†’ Synth Midi In
MPC Audio Out ā†’ Mixer 1-2
Synth Audio Out ā†’ Mixer 3
Mixer Aux 1-2 ā†’ Pisound Audio In L-R (L for MPC, R for Synth)

Okyeron also wrote: you can use the stereo input in your Modes, in Python there are accessible via etc.audio_left and etc.audio_right in the scripts, etc.audio_in remains L+R.

Please share your live set when itā€™ll be ready, Iā€™m curious!

I got Eyesy up an running on a 3b+, Raspbian Lite, no desktop but I donā€™t have a PiSound so just used a USB Alesis io2 express (class compliant - works with Patchbox OS no problem) and disabled built in sound and made this the default card at 48000.

Eyesy is in python mode (ofLua does not work at all) runs well for about 1-2 minutes and responds to sound input and I can change modes and scenes and alter knobs via TouchOsc but then crashes with the following error in the Web Editor

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 173, in 
sound.recv()
File "/home/pi/Eyesy/engines/python/sound.py", line 76, in recv
avg_l +=audioop.getsample(ldata, 2, (i * 3) + j)
audioop.error: Index out of range
eyesy-python.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
eyesy-python.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

I suspect my Alsa settings are incorrect somewhere, has anyone used an external USB card and got Eyesy working on a pi?

Thanks

Thatā€™s still pretty much a work in progress and I think Iā€™m missing some important system setup stuff thatā€™s needed.

Have you changed anything in sound.py? It could be the period size there is not matching up with your soundcard?

I have not changed anything in sound.py but i will open it up and try to match my card settings. many thanks for this, I imagine this may be the issue

I figured out what was causing the crashes, my sound card (Alesis io2 express) can only run at 24 bit depth and cannot do 16 bits, I bought a cheap usb sound card, changed sound.py to reflect 44100 and 1 channel input and all runs perfectly now

Many thanks for an awesome port of Eyesy, i got my new card today and am having such fun with it, will have to upgrade to a pisound soon

2 Likes