Pipe Development

Hi All,

I’m sadly stuck building the pipes for my setup and am not sure where to begin. What would be the most effective and efficient way to get assistance? I’ve four midi controllers I’d like to use, including keys that I’d like to have flexibility to route in different ways depending on the the need.

Could I sketch the different workflows I’m trying to create (I know presets will be involved for the different workflows)?

Again, at a loss and just trying to get things setup.

Thanks so much!

Hey again, Michael

Fairly early on in the tutorial New to Midihub: Step-by-Step.05 there’s a diagram…

02Ins&OutsFullxClock
…which sketches the inputs & outputs for the solution being aimed for.

Later there are diagrams which start to flesh out the routes that MIDI messages will take inside Midihub:

Each of the arrows/arcs then will become pipelines where the message flow is split or merged.

Something like the 1st diagram is a useful starting point to break down your workflow into manageable chunks.
Whether you go for a wire diagram on the way to sketching out the pipelines you’ll need is a matter of style.

Posting up either/both will help others see what you’re trying to. That is a good starting point.
(if it suits your thinking-style to do it in list-format go that way. Don’t forget Channel info!)

The Step-by-Step.05 tutorial itself is quite similar to where you’re going. Working through it may also help you get started.

The earlier tutorials cover stuff like using MIDI Monitor.
This is a really good tool to check as you go along what’s going through various pipes as you turn knobs etc.
Knowing how to use it and its filters well is the key IMO to building a complex patch from scratch.

3 Likes

Hi All,

Below is a picture of my MIDI/MIDI Hub network. What I’d like to do might require presets. Essentially, I’d like to have any of the input ports send the master clock (this is what I might need to have presets for, I’m not sure) and to have all four input ports be able send CC and PC messages to the three outputs ports, whenever I choose. I think it’s a fairly straightforward set of four pipes (per preset) to send clock and to merge split and MIDI CC and PC messages.

Here’s a use case example: I’m playing guitar and want use the MC-8 foot controller (input port 4) to send tap temp MIDI master clock to output 1-3 ports to start the sequencers and recording devices. I also want to use it to control the the various looper pedals I have, which are all connecting to output port 1. Lastly, while I’ve things looped and playing. I’d then like to be able to sit down at the Keystep and play along.

I can see it perfectly in my head and bought the MIDI hub for just such an example. I’m just struggling to put together a preset (set of pipes) to execute the example. Any assistance in mocking up even one pipe would be very helpful. Thanks!

Hey Michael,

Your diagram and case example give some inkling about what needs to go on inside Midihub,

What you need next is some specifics about what each box expects to receive (which message types on what channel(s) :arrow_double_down:),
and in some cases will send out.
This will help figure out what connections and filters are needed in your first preset.

In particular (off the top of my head):

• MC-8 sends Clock.
    Start, Stop and Continue too?
    If not, what is these sending transport messages?
    Does MC-8 send out other messages the boxes need to hear?

• So these are going to Octatrack:
    is OT receiving anything else?
    What’s OT sending out and who are those messages for?

• Same question applies to TRS-1 and KS37 as they also send into Midihub.
    TRS-1 seems a special case unless boxes 2-7 don’t need any of the messages it produces
    (if these only intended for say OT then that’s OK)

• It will also be useful as you build the first pipelines to use MIDI Monitor to check whether a message sent to (say) OT is sent back to Midihub

• “PC messages”
    What is sending them? What is receiving them?

• btw, is the “1, 2, … 7” box just a router?

:arrow_double_up: having these details next to each box on the diagram will help others see in more detail what you need MH to do.
(You’re Gonna Need a Bigger Note…)

I’d like to have any of the input ports send the master clock (this is what I might need to have presets for…)

Leave this for later!

Hi, thanks so much for your response. I’m crawling out of a Covid and work hole, so I apologize for the late response. I’ve made a spreadsheet that attempts to answer most of the questions you’ve posed above. Regarding the third bullet, I drew the diagram above wrong: the TRS-1 should be connected to MIDI Hub out 1, and the router should be connected to MIDI Out 4. That should better explain the role the TRS-1 plays in the system.

Below is the spreadsheet that, used in conjunction with the diagram above, I hope helps me to begin developing the first pipe:

Device Name In Port Number Out Port Number MIDI Messages Sent MIDI Messages Received Role In System
Torso TRS-1 1 1 Clock, CC, PC, Note CC, PC To be used as a sequencer for synthesizers in system.
Octatrack 2 2 Clock, CC, PC, Note Clock, PC To be used as a sequencer for synthesizers in system, to be used a as sampler in the system
Keystep 37 3 3 Clock, CC, PC, Note Clock, PC To be used as a sequencer for synthesizers in system, to be used as a live MIDI keyboard for synthesizers in the system
MC-8 4 Not used Clock, CC, PC, Note PC To be used as a MIDI controller for pedalboard, a global MIDI clock for system, to change presets for devices in system
Kenton MIDI Thru (1 in/12 out) Not used 4 None Incoming messages from multiple devices MIDI splitter/router
1 Like

Hey, Michael, glad to hear you’re in the land of the living.

I’ll take a closer look when I’m a bit more compos mentis but

1st thing that strikes me is you’re gonna need to Filter out some Clocks!
2nd thing is; not seeing any Transport messages (Start, Stop, etc). Unless they’re all acting independently, someone needs to say “Go!”

Thinking into the intricacy of interconnections and seeing you’re maybe a table-sorta-guy, I think maybe where I’d go next is to create a sub-table for each input device:

So using MC-8 as a starting point ( as it looks like the head honcho)…
its table would have a row for each device it’s going to send stuff to…
…with more granular detail on which, say, PC is going where on what channel
(and whether it needs to be Transformed by Midihub enroute)

Then, using that sub-table, you can start building up that part of the patch as a discrete task.
My hunch is that, as well as being less daunting, you will come across particular small issues that you’ll solve yourself (or ask questions about) which will then inform the subsequent stages.

1 Like

Thanks so much, I’ll start chipping away at the sub-tables!

Posting up your sketch of just one sub-table along with the .mhp that should do those jobs will be useful.

Even if it’s wrong, folk here will get you on the right track and it’ll all get less complicated…