Pi Grounding Issue?

This is not really a Blokas issue but probably a general pi issue. I’m asking here in case anyone has a solution. So I am using my PiSound and modep as my bass rig. Small, compact with almost unlimited tone control. That being said, depending on the quality of the power where I’m playing, I get a loud hum that can only be solved by placing my hands on the strings. I’ve made sure the bass is properly grounded in itself and played the same bass through other amps and the hum is not there, only through the pi. So I’m assuming that because the Pi does not use a grounded plug it’s not properly grounding my bass. More noticeable on active basses.

Anyone else run into this? Suggestions on how to resolve?

1 Like

There’s a couple of ground planes on Pisound, you could try to hook up the one on the Input side to some grounding point, like the earth contact on the power outlets, or metal chassis of some other grounded equipment or something. These are the locations of the input ground:

You can wire off of any of those 4 pins. Alternatively, the 6.35mm connector’s sleeve you insert makes the connection to this ground, you may build a custom cable with grounding wire going where it needs to go off of the cable.

Of course first try and make this connection without soldering anything if possible, just to see if it solves the problem.

2 Likes

It’s been a long time but I finally got around to adding an earth ground to my PiSound. So what I did was order this from Amazon:

IUZIT Grounding Outlet Plug with Anti-static Wrist Strap and Grounding Wire, ESD Safe for Computer,PC Building, Electronics Repair https://a.co/d/cMpgooL

Then I soldered a wire to the pin indicated:

This product came with a couple of wires that you can plug into the outlet plug so I plugged one in and stripped the alligator clip from the other end. Then I ran the grounding wire through the Pi:

Then finally attached the grounding wire and the wire from the grounding plug to a bolt that is on the underside of my pedalboard:

I ran a continuity test from the grounding pin on the Pi and the ground plug on the power cord. Plugged it all in and seems to be working fine. Interestingly it made little difference here at home. Will have to test in other places and with other guitars.

1 Like