Pedal Steel Emulation?

A basic pedal Steel chord will allow pitch bend of the lowest note, typically root or 3rd, allowing the higher note(s) to remain at standard pitch.

Would it be possible for Midihub to sense a two or three note chord and allow pitch bend only on the lower of the two or three notes being played?

1 Like

Check out this thread: Reliable interval output after Dispatcher pipe

The Dispatcher pipe is being used for splitting out a chord to process each note individually. There was some great ideas on how to get it to reset the counter.

In a future update, we’ll consider adding some more properties to Dispatcher pipe, so you could make it say restart automatically if all notes were off, this way you could make it reset its counter all the time once the last chord ends, and consistently process the very first note to apply Pitch Bend.

On this, has the team had any thoughts about what we might call Notifier-type pipes?

• Pipes like Arp & Sustain clearly depend on Midihub having an “all notes are now off” state.
  • There are a number of uses cases (like @JoeyButters’ mentioned ) which could really benefit from an All Notes Off pipe;
  • this would send out an event (like LFO but maybe with the ‘byte-space’ to also choose the Channel or Type) when this state was detected.

Others that might fall into this category might be:

1. First Note On
  2. CC Sequence Ended ~ with a Threshold:m/s parameter

IMO, this would add a whole new layer of functionality to the grey box.
(And stop me abusing it with multi-pass feedback loops :bomb:)

Im working on adding this to a strum patch I’m tinkering with. After you split the chord with the dispatcher, you can add a lfo to one of the split note pipelines, assign the LFO to a cc, then use transform to convert that cc to a pitch bend. I’m still working out the best way to return the pitch bend smoothly to zero. An lfo after the bend would work of course but how and when the return to zero lfo is triggered is the problem to be solved.

Maybe start this one up as separate thread?

Could you sketch out a little diagram of how you see this going on a timeline?
At first glance, it looks a bit like another case where a One-shot LFO would have its final value(s) Transformed into an event…

Actually the OP wouldn’t need an LFO, just a transform and the pedal mapped to the right place. Unless the pedal was just to trigger a preformed pitch rather then doing the bend itself. Id have to play around with this a bit. But…

The more I think about it the harder it actually seems. If pitch bend is per channel in the device it would affect all the notes on the channel at the sound generator post Midihub. Notes could be split out to to different channels on the hardware device but that doesn’t seem practical. Mapping to tune would have the same issue unless you were using samples that can be tuned individually.

The most obvious solution for now is to sacrifice a channel for the lowest note to bend freely. So Note 2 and 3 plays on channel 1 and note 1 always plays and bends on channel 2. That’s seems an easier solution but a bit inflexible for my liking.

A question that just popped into my mind is what if your chord is more or less than 3 notes and you want to bend anything other than note 1?. A possible solution could be to use transform pipe/s that will send the note and pitch bend value to channel 2 instead of 1. This would likely require a loopback so you can trigger the switch by a value then turn it off after the note is done.

I’ll start a new topic later on my work through to push this further with LFO’s and streamline this idea.

Alright after playing with this for a while, it’s doable but a bit trickier than I thought. I missed the fact that if you send a pitch bend to a single patch on your device, all the notes are going to bend. The workaround is to have a duplicate of the patch and send the lowest note only to a seperate channel then you can seperate the bends.

Here is me just playing around with the bend in a strum patch.This is all just 4 chords. I separates the notes and on the low note I have a lfo doing the bending but you could also just transform your pedals cc into pitch bend.

2 Likes

yeah, that’s the basis of the Microtune pipe (which someone had a mathematically very elegant improvement on I read recently)

Like what you did there. What’s the patch and how was it played?

Oh btw, got the FlexibleBPM patch up and running - using a LaunchControl XL’s Track Focus/Control buttons to transition in BPM intervals between Max & Min set by two faders, a third to set transition time and 3 buttons to choose different ‘transition curves’. Intention was to make sthg usable as a live Arp/Seq tool by someone more musical than me!
Interested?

1 Like

That’s the same strum patch I started from the get go. It’s coming along nicely. Its just 4 chords looping
and I’m only adjusting delays and arps, turning off pipelines and turning off on pitch bend on the low note. I’ve found that the note length pipeline does some cool delay stuff as well.

I’ll have to check out that microtune patch, I sorely need more elegant/economical ways of doing things. I’ve been scouring the forums getting ideas. Im at like 210 pipes right now. I am looking forward to trying your patch because transitioning a tempo is a big goal to add. I just hope Ill have enough pipes left to squeeze it in. You were probably right though, I may actually need 2 midi hubs.

The full ‘development’ patch runs out at around 100 pipes.

Once you’ve used it by itself enough to decide what you want from it [1], however, it can be cut down significantly.

This is cos it currently includes

• entire pipelines (3x7) devoted just to sending events back to the LXCL to light buttons & turn off existing ones.
  • another 3x7 pipes, where each pipeline responds to a button to set up the 3 Equalizer params in different ways. Even if you kept this level of variability it can be compressed into 1x13 pipes.

You might just squeeze it altogether with a bit of judicious trimming of your patch…

Tomorrow I’ll break it into separate modules and post them up. (With notes unless you’d prefer to suss it out yourself!)

[1] in its full, variable, form it can do anything from big sweeps of BPM, to quite subtle quickening & slackening of pace. It feels like, in the right hands, with the right interface, it could become an extension of playing style. I’m hoping so.

1 Like

That sounds great, thanks. Both forms would be useful as I try figure out what I can fit in. Ill probably dedicate 1 preset on the Midhub to the fully fleshed out version and add some arps to it. Once I finish the strum patch I’m going to work on a virtual drummer patch so this would be gigantic for where I’m wanting to go.

1 Like