Pd startup messages

Hi,
in the startup script of pd launched by the button there is the flag -stderr set which routes the startup messages to the standard error console of the system. I am not an linux expert and read that this is normally the console pd was started from, this is not visible in the default setup. How can I access the startup information? I could disable the flag but this is probably not what it is supposed to accomplish.

thanks

Falk

Try sudo journalctl -u patchbox-init -f (-f follows the output, run without it to get the whole log contents), if you get PD started as a module. Otherwise, let us know which method to start it you are using. :slight_smile:

Hi Giedrius,
thanks fpr your reply. journalctl -u patchbox-init (-f) doesn´t return the expected messages here. It tells me it´s looging but nothing apperars in the terminal window. I have a pd patch named main.pd which has externals that are not installed and should return errors. Opening without -stderr flag (simple doubleclick) gives me the errors via pd window on a vnc instance. I´d like to see the errors somehow if I start the patch with the button including the stderr flag. It would also be ok, if it logs to a file which I could access. The best would be if I could start it and be able to access the pd window content via ssh from a different machine. thanks Falk

I missed that you’re using the button to start it :slight_smile: If you’re using the button to start it, try using pisound-btn instead of patchbox-init in the journalctl command, make sure the -stderr flag is enabled.

Hi Giedrius,

this works perfect, thanks

Falk

1 Like