New here, have some questions

Hi all,

Just got my pisound in after waiting ages on international shipping. I’m impressed for several reasons:

1. It actually got here which is more than I can say for any other time I tried international shipping.
  2. It was easy to install hardware AND software wise.
  3. Has lots of documentation.
  4. Has about as premium of a feel that you can get from a DIY type kit.
  5. Sounds great.
  6. Has very low latency.

Okay so now after praising it, time for some questions I have after playing around with Patchbox and MODEP for a bit:

1. I’m sure this has been asked before but is there any way to run x86 or x64 VST2 or VST3 plugins on it? I know emulation will come with a big performance hit but I am running it on a Pi 4 4GB. If even that wouldn’t be enough I’d still like to give it a try just for fun.

2. Are there any good LV2 plugins not included with MODEP I should pick up? Specifically I’d love some more bass amps.

3. In MODEP is there a way to change the button to press once to cycle pedalboard presets? I find the default method slightly annoying.

4. The pisound android app disconnects every ten or so seconds. How can I fix this?

5. Is there some sort of database/community to download/share MODEP presets?

Any answers I can get regarding these are highly appreciated.

Hey, thank you for the kinds words :slight_smile:

I did run x86 software through qemu for flashing an external ARM CPU connected via USB, but it was taking 3 minutes compared to around 15 seconds running roughly the same code, compiled natively for ARM, so in theory it would be possible to run x86 VST plugins, in practice you’d get a very slow offline effect processor. :slight_smile:

You can use any LV2 plugins you find, as long as you put them in /usr/modep/lv2 folder, they won’t have a nice GUI, but you can still access all of the parameters through the plugin’s settings menu. MODEP already comes with all open source plugins that had nice GUIs available.

See here: MODEP and creating custom script buttons - #2 by Giedrius

See Patchbox OS image 2020-03-14 (and MODEP) - #32 by edwillys - it seems to be some sort of bug in system libraries that was there when the image was generated, a software upgrade should fix it.

Not yet, but https://patchstorage.com/ may be a good candidate. :slight_smile: @Pranciskus