Modep with Audioinjector soundcard

Hello !

I’m here for a problem on my couple Rpi3+audioinjector+Modep :

http://www.audioinjector.net/rpi-hat

My pi is booting, mod-ui is reachable from any devices connected to the hotspot, I can add pedals …

But the sound is not passing throught mod-host, if I enable my audioinjector soundcard (with the alsamixer interface), it just let the sound going out, but it is not modified by the pedals on the screen.

I think I need to say to mod host that audioinjector is the soundcard to use ?

Thank you for answers, and thanks to blokas team !!!

1 Like

Take a look here: https://blokas.io/modep/docs/Sound-Card-Setup/ :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention that I ever done this part, I think my card is OK with mod-host, the service is up after the modification and the reboot

Thank you for the answer !

1 Like

So does everything work as expected after reboot? :slightly_smiling_face:

No :(, I made the modifications what I was thinking from the documentation, but nothing more.

I made all my tests and modifications yesterday (the part for the audiocard), today was the same :frowning:

How does your jack.service contents look like? What is the output of arecord -l?

Hello, here is the result of the commands :

modep@modep:~ $ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: audioinjectorpi [audioinjector-pi-soundcard], device 0: AudioInjector audio wm8731-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

modep@modep:~ $ cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/jack.service
[Unit]
Description=JACK Server
After=sound.target

[Service]
LimitRTPRIO=infinity
LimitMEMLOCK=infinity
Environment=JACK_NO_AUDIO_RESERVATION=1
ExecStart=/usr/bin/jackd -v -t 2000 -P 75 -d alsa -d hw:audioinjectorpi -r 48000 -p 128 -n 2 -X seq -s -S

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

It seems there is an error with pisound-btn service :

modep@modep:~ $ sudo systemctl status pisound-btn.service
[sudo] password for modep:
● pisound-btn.service - Pisound button daemon autostart
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/pisound-btn.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-12-18 18:17:03 UTC; 58min ago
Process: 322 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pisound-btn (code=exited, status=234/MAKE_STARTER)
Main PID: 322 (code=exited, status=234/MAKE_STARTER)

Dec 18 18:17:03 modep systemd[1]: Started Pisound button daemon autostart.
Dec 18 18:17:03 modep pisound-btn[322]: Reading Pisound serial failed, did the kernel module load successfully?
Dec 18 18:17:03 modep systemd[1]: pisound-btn.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=234/MAKE_STARTER
Dec 18 18:17:03 modep systemd[1]: pisound-btn.service: Unit entered failed state.
Dec 18 18:17:03 modep systemd[1]: pisound-btn.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.

But i don’t know if this service is mandatory for making working audioinjector with modep

And my alsamixer look like this :

When i enable mixer output bypass i can hear the sound of my tb3, but not affected by a delay pedal for example.

pisound-btn service is not mandatory, you may disable it from attempting to start by running sudo systemctl disable pisound-btn

Hmm, the jack.service file seems alright. I suspect that you have to find the right configuration in alsamixer to get MODEP working. You should not be using any hardware bypasses. The audio streams should be directed to/from digital audio interface. Did you check the Capture controls (hit f4 or tab a few times)? Also ‘Master Playback’ seems to be muted, you can hit the M key on you keyboard to change that setting. I don’t have access to the audioinjector card you’re using, so I can’t help with what the mixer control settings you should use, but it looks like it’s using Cirrus WM8731 audio codec, you can check its datasheet, page 21, to find its functional block diagram. It may help you figure out what the settings should be used to get the correct audio routing set up.

1 Like

It’s working perfectly after the enabling of the capture device and the enabling of the output mixing in alsamixer !! :slight_smile:

Modep is a very good project, i’ve tested reverb+disto on my tb3 and it’s realy cool :slight_smile:

I can confirm that is working with audioinjector !

3 Likes

hey, how is the sound of audioinjector, is there any crackle or cpu pi noise or is it just crystal clear…?

No problems with that card :slight_smile:

does someone knows it can be used with guitar amp on guitar level and fx send/return,
it would be interesting for me to use it in following example:

2x mono in (guitar in and send fx coming from the amp) and
2x mono out (to amp and return fx to the amp), or is Pisound better suitable?
this is the “four cable method” where two signal chains are used, distorted sound direct to the amp and other effects (delay…) with fx send/return.

! I don’t know if there is a normal levels differnence to the audio ins between Audioinjector and Pisound, or - if it doesn’t matter at all :thinking:

but I know I have a switch on my amp to switch fx send return from 0dBu to -10dBu (where the gain will be increased by +10) … any clues?
and I think a higher gain output (then others) on my guitar as it has some EMG active pickups… help needed :persevere:

After a little experimenting, this is what worked for me (2019). Rpi 3b+, Audio Injector. Works like a champ. This is AMAZING…really amazing,

1 Like

Hey @funkylsk, would there be any chance of grabbing a copy of your image?
I’ve got the audioinjector card and have just killed my modep install trying to set it up :confused: