Mimic banks or midi map the output value of a transform pipe

Not sure I to title this one but here we go.

So here’s what I want to achieve:

I have an expression pedal that sends CC27 to the midi hub and I have another button controller with 8 buttons.
If I press button 1 I want the expression pedal CC27 be transformed into CC120. If I press button 2 I want the signal to be transformed to CC121 etc.

This way I could control one of eight effects with the same pedal, and I can select what effect to control the the 8 buttons on my controller.

Could I make transform pipelines for each CC to convert to and select which one is active from my 8 buttons with a single button push in some way?

Is this possible?

What messages is the button controller sending with button press/release?
Can it be configured so each button sends a different value/velocity while held down?
(a Midi Monitor shot of button 1-8 being pressed would be useful)

Preferred Usage:

• hold down button while changing exp CC27 with other foot?
  • click button 1 ; thereafter CC27 → CC120 until another button clicked.

The solution will vary according to which of above…

The button controller can be edited to send what ever message.

Your last example is what I’m looking for:

• click button 1 ; thereafter CC27 → CC120 until another button clicked.
  • click button 2 ; thereafter CC27 → CC121 until another button clicked.

Etc

So the 8 buttons decide what to transform CC27 into.

You think it’s possible?

Yes.
Are you happy to use a physical loopback?

that would be quite tidy in terms of pipes.

Another way, of course, –which wouldn’t suit most– is to have the button controller send Program changes to switch between near identical patches…

Let me know if you want a rough sketch of how a loopback would work.

1 Like

I think a loop back might work, I just need to come up with a way to free up some of the ports if I go that route. I can’t do that internally?

So the midi hub can switch presets when receiving program change? I think I could go that way to. I don’t have any LFO and stuff so I don’t think I will mess something up when switching between them.

How do I set up program change?

Btw, thanks for all the help and the midihub is completely awesome! It solves every midi problem I’ve been having!

That solution would just have one mapped Transform for CC27 itself:
each button-down message would be transformed to a (for example Ch16 CC101) each with a different value.

This would need to fed out and back into MH so the ‘CC27 Transform’ can then pick it up and change what CCnumber it’s transforming to.
so needs:

• MIDI in-out (as in pic)

• USB in-out (needs Mac/PC/rPi patchbay)

• A device with a MIDI THRU that you can chain back into MH
    I’d not tried this until @Unroot brought it up very recently. It works nicely but needs a little bit more care than a standard one cable loopback. If your setup allows that, your MIDI-THRU loopback should be simpler than Unroot’s.

So the midi hub can switch presets when receiving program change?

With your hub connected, go to DeviceSettings
PresetChange
I’ve never tried Preset Change in mid-performance so dunno what issues there might be.

the midihub is completely awesome! It solves every midi problem I’ve been having!

Two are even more fun (that’s another solution btw and they have a sale on :wink:)!
If I still lived in the EU :cry:, I’d treat myself to a Birthday Third…

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! I’ll try this tonight

This is now more easily solved with virtual mappings:
Buttons_Control_ExpPedal_CCNumber.mhp

(Discussion on loopbacks now superseded)