Mido and RPi.GPIO

Hello,

I am new to the Patchbox OS, and just installed last night on a Pi3B+ with great success. Really love the whole concept of this OS, and can’t wait to dig deeper. I have a project I have been working on that includes using a Line6 HX Effects as a Midi Controller for a Pi-based MIDI true bypass loop switcher. Essentially this will be a device with a series of three relay boards with 8 relays on each board to allow for 4 stereo loops and 16 mono loops. In addition to switching with the HX Effects, I want to be able to use TouchOSC on iOS to switch the loops as well.

I have a working prototype using touchosc2midi, Mido and RPi.GPIO, as well as a few supporting libraries working on the Pi3B+ without Patchbox OS. Last night when I installed Patchbox OS, I noticed I couldn’t import mido and RPi.GPIO, so I installed PIP and then installed mido and RPi.GPIO. The prototype is now working on Patchbox OS.

My question is this: Will adding PIP, mido and RPi.GPIO mess up the Patchbox OS kernel in any way? Is there a way to avoid mido and RPi.GPIO by using libraries that are already available in Patchbox OS to send/receive MIDI and send signals to GPIO in python?

Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me.

/gdub64

These libraries shouldn’t affect the system. Just use whatever libraries you’re comfortable with. :slight_smile: Under the hood, they’re accessing the same underlying system APIs like ALSA and one of they ways to access GPIO pins. They just wrap that up into a convenient API for python.

1 Like

@Giedrius I did notice that the lower level dependencies that mido and RPi.GPIO need were already installed, so I was thinking they would be ok but was hoping for some wisdom like you just gave me. Thanks so much for the follow up and encouragement. /gdub64

1 Like