Midihub - USB A Input?

Hi there,
i would like to use my midi controllers (USB A) to controller my synths. To be more precise: AKAI APC40 MK2 Conroller > controlling Digitone in a traditional Mixer way.

1. Would midihub the right box for me in order to map/remaps CH´s and CC´s?
  2. The midihub looks great. I am missing a Midi USB A input? Why is there none? Workaround via Midi-Interface?
    Thanks in advance.

hi @neochimpy (welcome to Mifdihub forum)

you have USB A-D In&out via the USB/power socket.

But you do need some device between them to provide power and MIDI patching.
Some use a PC|Mac, others an rPi (and some hardware MIDI-Interfaces)

I don’t know either the APC40 or the DT so I’m not aware of how they connect.

MH is great at remapping CH´s and CC´s as well as Rescaling Transforming between message types.

Take a look at the Transform pipe page to get a sense of what it can handle.
Beyond that check out the pipes that do harmonies, delays, arps etc.

Also try playing with the Editor - you can start putting patches together even before deciding you just gotta have the little grey box!

Hi, I’m afraid you need a USB MIDI host like the Kenton https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mk3/ in order to connect a MH Input with the USB MIDI controller.

Not cheap. On Amazon one can find much cheaper ones but who knows…

I had similar considerations about using my Novation Launch Control XL in order to control some of Midihub’s parameters. However I won’t buy an additional USB MIDI host but will use an already available MIDI controller with DIN MIDI output.

You need a USB host in between other USB MIDI devices and Midihub to forward the USB MIDI data as needed. You can make use of your computer/laptop for this purpose, or probably the smallest possible footprint for this purpose would be mini computer like Raspberry Pi and clones.

There is smaller and better one - original CME WIDI bluetooth connectors (expansive), or - for this case may be even better - chinese, wireless connectors (two in one pack): DIN5->BT + USB->BT. It connect together very well. It may be connected as standalone BT devices or as pair (DIN5<->USB).

USB version may be connected from one side to powerbank, and from second to usb midi device. And viola, your USB device is wireless now :slight_smile:

https://aliexpress.com/item/1005003507317555.html

You need a USB host in between other USB MIDI devices and Midihub to forward the USB MIDI data as needed. You can make use of your computer/laptop for this purpose, or probably the smallest possible footprint for this purpose would be mini computer like Raspberry Pi and clones.

All completely true, but leaves out a lot of details. :grinning: I’ve made it work with a Raspberry Pi, but I’d like to do it using Windows 10 instead. What patching software should I use?

MIDI-OX (see my reply here: Using USB controller with Midihub - #17 by Giedrius)

Otherwise, if you have a DAW running anyway, it should have some sort of functionality for forwarding USB MIDI between devices built in.

1 Like

There’s a program called MidiTrix that’s small and simple and makes this easy
MidiTrix.

There is another program that is free to very expensive depending on feature set and can do some serious routing plus handle a lot of your midi processing if you have to go through Windows OS anyway. I use these to route Maschine Jam to Midi Hub.

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll give MidiTrix a try if MIDI-OX doesn’t work for me.