MidiHub Program Change

Here is a basic feature request. I would like to be able to configure MidiHub to respond to a particular midi channel, so if it receives a MIDI program change message (1-8) on this channel it will change its current preset.

Hey, yes, this is already implemented :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Perhaps thereā€™s a more appropriate thread for this (ie. Extra Transform options), but I recently purchased an Akai MB76 (a midi-controllable patchbay with input trim) which only responds to program change messages.

My question is if thereā€™s any hope for remapping a CC message to a Program Change message.

Ie. I have an Elektron Rytm/ Four/ Heat, and would like to be able to assign different signal routings per scene on the Rytm, etc.

Regardless, Iā€™ve been incredibly excited to receive this thing, and am beyond grateful for all of your hard work. <3

Yes, the Transform pipe can do such a conversion. It would make sense to be used in conjunction with Rescale to set the range of operation.

1 Like

Back to my original question: I want to send a program change message to MidiHub and have it respond by changing the current preset. I canā€™t find anything about this in the documentation. How does it work?

Connect to Midihub via the editor, go to Device->Settings, configure which input is being listened to for Program Change messages. The first 8 programs correspond to the 8 presets.

On Editor 1.11.2 for Mac I see no ā€œSettingsā€ under the ā€œDeviceā€ menu.

@John_David_Duncan Please upgrade to the latest versions:

Its MIDIHub Editor > Preferencesā€¦

then choose what is in the ā€œred circleā€

Ugh, looks like the UI library the editor depends on silently moves the Settings menu item to Midihub Editor->Preferences on macOS :slight_smile: Weā€™ll make it to be Device->Settings in order to be consistent with the other OSes in the next update.

2 Likes

Would it be possible to extend the supported inputs for this to include the virtual ones too? The use-case being ability to transform an incoming CC (or whatever) into a Program Change for the MidiHub itself, to work around this idiotic keyboard controller of mine having bizarre limitations in its ability to send PC messages :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve looked into allowing CCs directly for preset changes, but ordinary knobs provide too many events, and may even be noisy a bit. As the preset change operation itself is somewhat ā€˜heavierā€™, itā€™s best for it to respond to consistent program change events.

But if you are able to produce clean events, we could add listening to Virtual Ports. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Right, physical pots and sliders can be a bit chatty for such a purpose (although maybe one could filter it somewhat, heck maybe with MH itself), but there are various other things that could be the source: button that sends that one programmed CC, or Note On/Off messages.

The point really being to allow the full processing capabilities to be applied to anything aimed at the Midihub itself. Right now I guess the PC is only such thing so it doesnā€™t matter, but a more extensible scheme could be adding Midihub as a pipe output target.

2 Likes