Midiboy broken on arrival?

soldered up. triple checked joints by applying heat and solder to each joint again. took some tweezers between joints to make sure no shorts and no left over solder resin connecting between joints. double checked orientation of all parts. checked vcc and gnd to the atmega, lcd and power switch. made sure cpu pins are not bent. double checked usb cable works with other device. then tried midiboy and nothing shows up in dmesg (linux). nothing shows on lcd. tried on a computer with usb3 and usb2. tried with b button held and not, with power switch on or off

what next?

Hey, I can’t notice anything obviously wrong just from the pictures, but you seem to have went through a lot of troubleshooting already. Could you please double check if the capacitors near the crystal are 18pF ones? In the picture I can see that one of them is correct, the other’s markings are not visible.

I suspect there might be something up with the ATmega chip, please contact us via hello@blokas.io and we’ll send you another chip to try with.

spoke with support. new atmega chip arrived. This seems to have fixed it. At least, connecting new atmega and connecting USB cable results in the logo showing up on screen. Thanks

1 Like

okay still not working. connecting the logo shows up but nothing in usb, nothing in lsusb, no new dev/tty*

dmesg log when just connecting strait shows nothing. When connecting while holding b gives:

[108317.871351] host kernel: usb 3-2: new low-speed USB device number 17 using xhci_hcd
[108318.013368] host kernel: usb 3-2: device descriptor read/all, error -71
[108318.134759] host kernel: usb 3-2: new low-speed USB device number 18 using xhci_hcd
[108318.277011] host kernel: usb 3-2: device descriptor read/all, error -71
[108318.277107] host kernel: usb usb3-port2: attempt power cycle
[108318.678104] host kernel: usb 3-2: new low-speed USB device number 19 using xhci_hcd
[108318.697080] host kernel: usb 3-2: device descriptor read/8, error -71
[108318.819957] host kernel: usb 3-2: device descriptor read/8, error -71
[108319.048008] host kernel: usb 3-2: new low-speed USB device number 20 using xhci_hcd
[108319.066109] host kernel: usb 3-2: device descriptor read/8, error -71
[108319.196434] host kernel: usb 3-2: device descriptor read/8, error -71
[108319.301543] host kernel: usb usb3-port2: unable to enumerate USB device

In no situation does a usb device appear nor anything in dev tty. The udev rule is:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="16c0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="05dc", MODE="0666"

Any ideas? I’m about to execute the project (theatre) that needs this and wont have much time to debug. Wish it was possible to order these ready made.

Before sending the replacement chip, I’ve double checked that it is getting recognized via USB and that it can be programmed with sketches. It’s expected for USB to attempt to recognize the hardware if the B button is held down while powering on the system, so it enters the bootloader mode.

Further steps to debug the issue:

• Take a good look at the marked areas: USB Device Not Recognised - #5 by Giedrius, see if there’s anything wrong at all, you may want to double check whether the traces reach their destinations using a multimeter.

• Use a different USB cable.

• Try connecting to another computer.

• Try connecting through a USB hub (or connect directly to the PC, if you used USB hub before)

I looked closely at the marked areas before from the mentioned thread. Now I’ve tried to solder from the backside a bit. Is it possible that some traces on the board require solder to come fully through both layers of the board? If this is the case then definitely this is the source of the problem. I attempted to apply more solder on backside to some locations that appeared to need it but its impossible to get everywhere on the back. Still this did not help.

I tried usb through a hub, I tried it on an older computer, same results as before. I don’t have more than one of these ancient usb type-b cables so I couldnt test with another cable but I tested the same cable on another device and it had no issue.

I will have to abandon this now. Would be great to get a refund or if anyone else wants it I’m happy to ship it to them.

peace