LFO Pipe Active Mod

Hi guys.

Trying to get my head around the Active and Passive Mod modes (I assume Mod means modify or modulate). The manual states this:

Active Mod.: LFO is actively modulating (offsetting) the incoming CC value of the same id, generating new values even if incoming CC value is not changing.

As I understand that (and to be honest I dont really understand the finer details of that statement, particularly the second half of the sentence) that the LFO values will modify the existing value by how much the DEPTH property is set to.

For example, when set to Free Running at 64 depth, and to operate on CC74, the filter freq modulates between 0-127 on my synth.

When set to Active Mod or Passive Mod it does nothing. The filter freq is static. I would expect when set to Passive with 22 depth operating on a filter freq set to 46, that the filter would now modulate between 24 (46-22) and 68 (46+22).

I’m guessing its the “generating new values even if incoming CC value is not changing” part that I dont understand which is causing this behaviour. The incoming bit. How do I get the current filter freq value from my synth to ‘incoming’ into the LFO pipe so it knows to modulate it centered around the current value.

Any thoughts on how to use this.
Thanks all

Hey @SonikElectrik,
those one of those subtle things that might be easier to suss out by experimentation and observation.

Try this…
SonikElectrik_LFOmod.mhp (371 Bytes)

…watching the Monitor for the modLFO in line1…

(hint, when the Monitor scrolls out of view, just drag the scroll bar up to where you want and it’ll stop sending you crazy. Took me months to twig that)

…versus line2:

I think in the first pic, where CC3 drops from 64 → 32 (I’m using a Saw) might be the answer to

How do I get the current filter freq value from my synth to ‘incoming’ into the LFO pipe so it knows to modulate it centered around the current value.

1 Like

Interesting. So it requires a different procedural set up. I will experiment with your preset and observe the results

Many thanks

One important thing to note in my Monitor pics is

1. that in 1st there are a bunch of Outgoings from the modifier LFO for each incoming and relatively short time gaps

2. but in 2nd, every Incoming is accompanied by an Outgoing but the time gaps are c10s! (ie the modifier is sitting waiting for the generator to call…)
    (note also there’s very little change made: that’s ‘my bad’ in a way with the choice of rates being nearly multiples)