Kernel Update to 4.14.39

Am I doing something wrong here? I’m just received my pisound and I am trying to get the pisound software installed on the raspberry pi. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_5507

Run:

sudo rpi-update

Then reboot and run the install script again.

I have tried this a quite a few times. I run: sudo rpi-update It tells me my firmware is already up to date. I restart. Try to run the pisound install script and get the same error you see above. Should sudo rpi-update be updating to a kernel version above 4.14.34-v7+?

I may have had some luck. I was able to get rpi-update to update specifically to 4.14.39. Rebooting now.

sudo rpi-update should get you 4.14.50. What is the output of:

uname -a

?

I can’t try and reproduce this issue myself at the moment, however, to get around the kernel version check, you can just manually run the remainder of install-pisound.sh, by copying the below block into a terminal and pasting it:

echo Importing Blokas GPG public key...
wget -q -O - https://blokas.io/gpg.public.key | sudo apt-key add -
echo Adding Blokas apt repository...
sudo wget -q -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/blokas.list https://blokas.io/blokas.list
echo Updating package list...
sudo apt-get update
echo Installing Pisound software...
sudo apt-get -y install pisound
echo Updating /usr/local/pisound...
sudo sh -c 'cd /usr/local/pisound && git -c user.name="blokas_installer" -c user.email="blokas@installer" stash && git pull'
echo
echo Now you may run 'sudo pisound-config' to customize your installation!

and update the kernel at a later time, the issue with pre 4.14.39 versions is ‘snd_pcm_delay failed’ error printed in software like Pure Data on high load.

Success. I was able to get up to 4.14.39-v7+. and successfully installed the pisound software. Thank you for your assistance. I will try running sudo rpi-update again to see if it gets me up to 4.14.50 now that I am at 4.14.39.

1 Like

As long as it’s >= 4.14.39, it should be good to go, not strictly necessary to use very latest with Pisound :slight_smile:

I’m having this same difficulty. I keep doing the sudo rpi-update and reboot, but I keep getting the same message telling me to do this.

I’m running raspbian buster, which I just loaded up on a new SD card. Any ideas?

What is the output of uname -a?

Linux raspberrypi 4.19.63-v7+ #1249 SMP Thu Aug 1 16:26:30 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

Good news is that I copied that block of code from earlier in this thread and I got it installed! Seems to be working well!

Thanks for posting that:)

Hmm, weird, I tried reproducing this issue with Raspbian Buster, but it went just fine. Did you do some customizations / setup to the OS before running the install script? Like for example, changing your locale, system language, default shell, or anything else that could be important? Is it Raspbian Lite or Desktop?

I didn’t change anything on it. Just installed Raspian buster with desktop, installed the VNC viewer, then attempted the pisound install.

Works great now though!

What is the oldest kernel version Pisound can run on ?
Jetson Nano is built against 4.9.140, can I still make pisound work on it?

Pisound module has worked fine on kernel version branches 4.4, 4.9, 4.14. It itself depends on some other parts in the kernel like ALSA SoC modules and I²S module specific to the target board / processor to be available and configured correctly. Each board vendor usually maintains their own variation of Linux kernel, so the exact build versions are not easily comparable between different board kinds.

Thank you very much for your answer !