Granular Synthesis -- Blokas Bits #2 Granualr Studies

Here’s a simple granular synthesize for Blokas PisSOund
It samples from the soundcard about 4 seconds of saound and then you can tweak a whole bunch of parameters and there’s even a fun bezier curve envelope for you to tweak and save presets
Just an example of the new set of piSound APP patches that are coming
[this one is NOT included it’s just a sneak preview ONLY for Blokas community members

it’s based looslely on the granular synthesis work of Barry Truax

His 1986 piece river run set the "standard for Granular composition back then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a little heads up: you forgot the YAML file

these are Betas and do not have MEC or YAML yet, i hope that is ok and not messing you up.
Did it work on your machine?

Yeah, makes sense!
Did give it a quick spin and it seems to work fine here!
I only get some"snd_pcm_delay failed" errors (a bunch of them, one says “network dropped connection on reset astate3” the other says “unknown error 214” and then it says “no such device or address astate 3”. But I get these errors with most patches that use tables.

are you bridging pulseaudio?
I was wondering why the YAML file was the only thing you mentioned?
Just wanting to transfer it to the phone app?

curious

good question. If I am, that’s not intended. How do I find out if I am?

Using the phone app is for now the best way for me to get a patch into Pisound. That’s why I was asking. But no big deal about the YAML file, I just renamed the main Pd file to main.pd!

okay good to know
I’ll adapt a bunch of the BETAs to use main.pd so people can experiment with the phone
my real interest is in how does it sound? :slight_smile:

Yeah sorry Patrick. I know this situation, you work hard to make something, then ask for a feedback on how well it works as an instrument or musical tool (i.e. how it sounds) and all you get is somebody complaining about some totally secondary things.
So rewind, start again.
I did give it a quick spin as I said, sending in audio from a random tape and playing with the presets and parameters. My initial impression is that it sounds really nice. You can create some nice smeared loops and drones with it. The sound can get a bit more glitchy depending on how you set the parameters, which I suppose is intended and certainly inherent to granular processing.

1 Like

Thank you for that.
It was both intuitive and kind and i appreciate your feedback
I will drop the bokas.yml into BETAS [since i made 13 new ones last night] and as i make more of them they will get more descriptive and less coy :slight_smile:

I have some incredibly fun ones on deck and i am super excited about the Blokas piSound.

Giedrius has held my hand quite a bit for getting comfy with github so things are going to start speeding up now.

1 Like

Next Up is
Traditional granular synthesis based on the work of Dennis Gabor
In 1946 the Physicist and Nobel-prize winner Dennis Gabor came up with a system that used a grain system to reproduce sound. He documents his findings and the mathematics to support it in an article called the “Theory of Communication”, which was followed up a year later with “Acoustical Quanta and the Theory of Hearing”. In this he discusses the problems with Fourier analysis. Gabor says that whilst the mathematics are absolutely correct, it doesn’t allow for physical applications, especially common sounds such as a siren, which has a variable frequency. It can only be used for creating one sound at a time. The other problem is that in using sine waves it supposes that the duration of the signal is infinite. (Gabor 1946: 431) Gabor presents the idea of applying quantum physics methods to the sound signal. This would enable the sound to be viewed as quanta. He proposed how the Fourier method could be reduced into cells in a mathematical context. (Gabor 1946: 436)

1 Like