Fade a dmx light with midi

Hi, I’m new to the forum, allthough I have my two midihubs already for a longer time.
Thing is: I loved it from the beginning and knew, that I will need it and I will use it, as looks really versatile.

As a live musician I play intruments, no keyboards. But I use a Midi Controller to send midi messages to effect equipment. So I thought, it would be nice to have a small dmx controller like the doremidi MTD 1024, that is able to receive Midi messages and control light settings with it. We just have scene lights, no rhythmic action or so. So whenever I change my song/sound, I can easily send a midi message to the dmx controller without pressing any extra buttons.

Only thing is: If I send a midi message, the dmx device will immediately change the color, but I need smooth color fades. Anybody got ideas for this scenario?

thank you

Hey @1vl & welcome to the forum.

Midihub → DMX

I think the first step is to look more closely at what does what on the DMX side.
(ie. what outputs from Midihub will do what)

And let forum users know what inputs are available from your controller to trigger the changes you want.

For example, let’s say you only have a foot controller that sends On=127 and Off=0 from say 3 buttons.

And let’s say your DMX lighting has CC#34 for %Red, CC#35 for %Green etc,

Then you might set up a preset that triggers a couple of One-Shot Saw LFOs so that the Red and Green both sweep from one set of values to another set, giving you the transition you want.

I’ve no doubt Midihub can offer a solution, precisely what that will be will depend on the details you can provide.

thank you resonotter, that helped allready, as I see the steps now.

Why I wanted to use the doremidi midi to dmx converter is because it is very handy. Other devices may have scenes in which you can set fade times, but there are already a lot of faders and buttons on them that I would never be able to use live anyway.

DMX:
The doremidi can receive freely selectable Note or CC commands to select individual colors of an LED spot. So I’m flexible there. Value determines the brightness.

MIDI:
Here I can send 5 PC or CC messages at once.
This way Color mixes would be possible with one press. But I get an idea, that I could probably just send one command to the midihub (that stands for a color preset), which would then be split it into several color channel informations by the midihub.

Example: I send CC#1 to the Midihub if I want a specific lighting mood. Midihub then sends out
CC#100 value 12 =blue
CC#101 value 46 =red
and I get my pink light.

FADES:
Your idea with the saw LFO got me by surprise - never thought of it that way - an aha moment for me!
It got me thinking: But midihub does not know with which value the fade has to start, right? Does this only work with a fixed setlist (which we don’t have) or blackouts between songs? Most of the time we blend from one song to another,

1 Like

This is where you start making design decisions.

It sounds to me like you’ve already got your “end-points” sorted and so your enhancement is basically adding the “smooth segue” component.
If this is the case then simply adding a Black Init stage (which is what your patch is saved as) gets you off the mark

Your patch will likely involve running the transition then “storing” the end state(s) for the next segue.

This is now easier within one MH with virtual mappings courtesy of 1.14Beta, but you could also do it with two MHs talking to eachother (if you have the spare I/Os) – if you haven’t migrated either of your boxes yet.

Another thing I’m thinking about is speed of transitions but this can be V2!

Looking forward to seeing what you do!

PS. In some ways, this is reminiscent of my FluidTransitions patch described here
Yours can be simpler as that was designed to be very general.
On the other hand, yours will likely have the complexity of more than one 1-shot-Saw

(NB The FluidTransitions loopback patch will look a bit different in Virtual Mapping world – awaiting formal release before I re-write :slightly_smiling_face:)

btw, I typically opt for [0:127] (Depth = 64) LFOs with this kind of design, then maybe an Equalizer stage, then A Rescale stage. The Rescale pipe holds your mapped Before-After states

1 Like

Wow, that is some complex material, that I don’t understand yet totally. But it looks promissing.
So with a loopback I can make the midihub start with the before sent data?
That way it can be done, I guess.

Untill now I only used my Midihubs as Merge / split boxes, so I’m not a very experienced programmer. But as my DMX scenario seems possible, I’m gonna buy that DMX device, so I can see, what is going on and show my results.

Now possible with virtual-mappings in 1.14 so no loopback required.

Wow, that is some complex material

It’s only a few tricks strung together, PM me & we can knock out a demo before you commit the €$£

1 Like