Control Voltage Plugins - In Over My Head

Was super excited to play around with the AudioToCVPitch plugin now that I uploaded it. As the title implies, I drowned quickly. I just wanted to see if I could make a simple pedalboard where I could play my bass and have it output a synth bass sound. I obviously need to understand CV way more than I do. Anyone have any good suggestions on tutorials or other information that might help?

basically you take the audio pitch to cv plugin to analyse the pitch of say your guitar and audio to cv for your gate signal. input your pitch cv to control an oscillators pitch and output that oscillator to a vca. Then you control the vca with the gate signal. Youre gonna want to use envelopes and filters in your signal chain too. So the make it simple you need the analyse the pitch and volume of your input signal and control other cv devices with those signals.

1 Like

@protectorate thanks for the help! I know what a vco is but what is a vca?

VCA stands for Voltage Controlled Amplifier. As the name suggests, it is the part in which your sound comes out after being generated. They usually accept CV to control their behaviour. You can use enevolpe generators to shape the tone, or use LFOs to modulate the amplitude of signal getting effects like tremolo.

1 Like

Thanks all for the tips. Using your brain power I was able to set up a very simple pedalboard that uses CV. What I’m running into is the pitch tracking. If I play just in the upper register of my bass it seems to track pretty well. However the lower register does not. I’m attaching a sound file where I recorded me playing the notes G F E D C B A, starting on the 5th fret of the D string going down to the open A string. The pitch tracking seems to get lost at the B.

Guessing that the pitch was too low for tracking I added the MOD super capo and increased the pitch by 2 octaves. Still didn’t work. And perhaps it just won’t work down to those notes on the bass.

Does anyone know any tricks to get around this? Also attaching the screenshot of the pedalboard. Very simple.

1 Like

The pitch tracking requires a couple of cycles of the waveform from your guitar signal to determine the pitch, so there will be more latency the lower the pitches of your notes get and the lowest notes might not track at all. luckily, you can just play higher and set your oscillators to a lower octave.

1 Like

I somehow remember this being an issue when the developer was busy with the plugin. Lower registers are generally harder to track due to wave length

1 Like