Can't connect to midi hub

I’m not if this helps, but when I click the connect button while the midihub is connected via USB, it takes ages for the connection dialog to appear, and trying to close it is very laggy (obviously it doesn’t connect). Yet when the cable is not connected the dialog appears and closes instantly; its also instant when using bootloader mode. So something is happening, just not in a good way!

1 Like

The error is still the same, some Windows API timing out, that’s why it takes a while. But I can’t come up with any reasons for that yet.

The current theory I have is that something unexpected in the preset(s) may be either causing long processing times for Midihub, but the weirdest thing about that is in that case, the device would detect a stall and reboot itself automatically. In case it remains on the same preset during the entire attempt to connect seems to invalidate this.

Do you remember what were the last things you were doing with Midihub before restarting / turning it off / disconnecting it? Do you have the preset you were working on backed up to the PC and could you send it to me via PM or just post here?

Could you try connecting again while an ‘unused’ (blank) preset is on? Is it still the same?

I tried connecting while a blank preset was enabled (I tried from 3 to 8) but it still does not connect.

I’ve attached preset 1 that I currently have on the midi hub, it is a fairly simple one with just midi in/out configurations. Preset 2 which I don’t have a backup saved is basically just 2 midi ins/outs, so even simpler. If you really need that one I can connect it to my other computer to get it (yes it still connects to that computer fine!).

Midihub 2021.05.08 14.12.03 (Preset 1).mhp (435 Bytes)

Ok, if it works on another computer, then it’s not likely it’s something in the presets that’d trigger this.

Did anything change recently on the computer it’s not connecting to? Currently it seems more likely it’s some issue with the drivers or conflicting software (one issue could be some dlls with the same name got installed by some other software to the Windows / System directory that override the dlls that come with Midihub Editor)

Could you try searching for libserialport.dll in C:\Windows (or wherever the OS is installed) named libserialport.dll? It can take a while, but let me know if there are any hits.

Also, could you post the screenshot of ‘Driver Details’ from Properties of Midihub (COM3) in Device Manager?

Is Midihub connected directly to the computer, or via a USB hub?

The only thing that has changed is Windows updates and I installed some software to control one of my effects pedals via midi. I uninstalled that software and midihub, rebooted then only installed midihub but that did not fix it. I tried the same process as the other day by flashing the firmware and rebooting, but that didn’t work either.

I have other midi controller software on this computer but it was also on here when I the midihub once worked so I haven’t removed that yet.

I’m currently searching for that DLL but might take a while as you say.

Here are the driver details:

I think Imay have found the problem, but not sure how to fix it. I noticed in Device manager that I have Blutooth also mapped to COM3 so I disabled that and the midihub now connects. I don’t know why it worked the other day as I’ve not changed anything to do with Bluetooth.
Is it possible to change the mapping of the midihub to another port somehow?

Ah yes, that port naming conflict could definitely explain it - when the device is in bootloader mode, it usually gets assigned a different COM# number. When it’s in regular mode, it enumerates Midihub as COM3, but probably when trying to access it through this name, the BT device is accessed instead, timing out, as there’s probably nothing on the other end. I have no idea why the port name conflict with BT occurred in the first place though.

Looks like it’s possible to reassign the name in the ‘Advanced’ menu in Port Settings tab:

Yes it’s very odd. I changed the COM port for the midihub to COM6 (the next available one according to the list) but that did not work, I could not connect again. So I changed it back and changed the com port of the Bkuetooth device to 6 instead and that has worked, so does Bluetooth with my headphones, so hopefully that has fixed it all!

Sorry for all the inconvenience I’ve caused but at least messing/looking at these settings caused me to notice that issue.

I can’t praise your support enough and will highly recomend the hub to others :slight_smile:

Thanks again
Jason

1 Like

Thank you! Glad to hear it’s working again. No inconvenience at all. :slight_smile:

1 Like