[Bug] Error when adding a CALF effect

I have an error when I want to add an effect from the CALF library on my pedalboard.
Any ideas?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi! Have you updated MODEP to the latest release? If not, please do that, reinstall the plugin and let us know if that solved the issue.

Hi,
yes i use it.
2022-12-26 10_03_32-patch@patchbox_ ~
But it seems that 201 packages can be upgraded.

Now my system is up to date but all Calf audio plugins still not working.

Hi,
My problem isn’t solved with the udated release.

Check the MODEP logs after trying to add the broken plugins:

hi Giedrius,
thank you for your answer.
I think that the problem is here but i don’t know how to solve this.

Dec 26 19:04:44 patchbox mod-host[673]: lilv_lib_open(): error: Failed to open library /var/modep/lv2/calf.lv2/calf.so (/var/modep/lv2/calf.lv2/calf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
Dec 26 19:04:44 patchbox mod-host[673]: can’t get lilv instance
Dec 26 19:04:47 patchbox mod-host[673]: lilv_lib_open(): error: Failed to open library /var/modep/lv2/calf.lv2/calf.so (/var/modep/lv2/calf.lv2/calf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
Dec 26 19:04:47 patchbox mod-host[673]: can’t get lilv instance
Dec 26 19:04:50 patchbox mod-host[673]: lilv_lib_open(): error: Failed to open library /var/modep/lv2/calf.lv2/calf.so (/var/modep/lv2/calf.lv2/calf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
Dec 26 19:04:50 patchbox mod-host[673]: can’t get lilv instance

The file calf.so exist but it is blank!

Where did you get the calf plugins from originally? What output do you get from this command:

file /var/modep/lv2/calf.lv2/calf.so

I had the same problem. My config was latest patchbox and latest modep.

Importantly (I think) is that I’d installed the plugins using the approach described here

The command

file /var/modep/lv2/calf.lv2/calf.so

reports
/var/modep/lv2/calf.lv2/calf.so: broken symbolic link to ../../../lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/calf/calf.so

The symbolic link /var/modep/lv2/calf.lv2/calf.so has a relative path of …/…/…/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/calf/calf.so, which resolves to /var/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/calf/calf.so which does not exist.

I used the following to update the symbolic link (and update its ownership and permissions) to point to /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/calf/calf.so

ln -sf /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/calf/calf.so /var/modep/lv2/calf.lv2/calf.so
sudo chown modep:modep /var/modep/lv2/calf.lv2/calf.so
sudo chmod 775 /var/modep/lv2/calf.lv2/calf.so

and I can now add Calf plugins successfully :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if there might be any other plugins that have a similar issue.

S’manth x

3 Likes

Hi S’manth x ,
thanks a lot!
Your solution work for me.
I installed MODEP and the PLUGINS by the same method as you on 2 RASPI4 and I had the same problem on both.

1 Like

Thank you @Smanth
I had the same. My source for calf plugin was by installing modep-lv2-calf package on older version of Patchbox OS. It used to work correclty but after last update it stopped working.

1 Like