Aida Training First Attempt

Exactly, you got it.

As mentioned earlier…might be a dumb question…but can you verify you are getting the desired sound into your DAW? Like playing your guitar through the amp, are you getting the sound you want to model?

Sorry, but without being there not sure what else to ask.

Yeah, I’ve played it back. Like I mentioned, if you listen to target.wav at about 3m you can hear actual guitar. input.wav is plain direct electric guitar and target is appropriately distorted.

Don’t worry about it, you’ve already done tons to try and help. Let me play with a few more captures and if I come up with some ideas I’ll post back here.

One last dumb question. So you were able to either export the .json file or use the one that I sent you in MODEP with the Aida plugin, right? And that’s where you say the plugin doesn’t appear to be doing anything? Just to confirm, you did upload the .json file and select that in the plugin’s properties, correct?

Yes of course.

I re-captured just the pedal and re-ran the model, this time I got a .004 ESR, and the model lost patience only at about 200-something epochs (I forget the exact number, it ran for 10 minutes anyway)!

What was the difference? Well, for one I didn’t even bother changing the length (this one is a bit short, even though I used punch in/out when capturing, it must have rounded down to the nearest beat). I only used Foobar2000 to change the bitrate. And the signal is a bit hotter (I exported using the “Normalize” feature of my DAW).

I am going to try the pedal + amp combination again, because that’s really the easiest way to compare how similar the profile sounds.

Wow! That’s a really low esr! I need to go back and watch the video again to see what is a “good” esr. Since this is all so new I would hope we will start to gather some tips on how to achieve the lowest esr possible.

I ran another model yesterday and the esr actually went up a bit. Not exactly sure why.

Here’s my totally blind guess… Latency or phase issues. I betcha when I lengthened my previous clip I actually stretched it a tiny bit - meaning the waves were all out of sync and actually cancelled each other out.

When you’re doing yours, check this. Zoom way, way in to the start of the input & target wav files. Right at the beginning of the input there’s a click (or two?) that should show up as just a blip on the input. Does the target one line up exactly? If not, slide the target to align perfectly. Trim as necessary and try that. It would be handy to have a click at the very end too to make sure there was no drift… you can add that to the input if you want, or just use the sudden start/stops of some of the later tones to make sure it all lines up.

1 Like