Connecting an old tablet via wifi

hey,

is there a way to connect really old tablets, smartphones (via wifi) with modep? i have an old acer with android 4 something, and unfortunately i can’t get access to modep via the browser. that would be a nice use for these old things.

@janice can you provide some more details as to why you can’t connect? When you get and browser to the MODEP address are you getting an error? Screenshots would help as well.

2 Likes

The browser seems to be able to connect in principle, but this circle, which is the loading bar, remains frozen.
I will send a screenshot

1 Like

unfortunately it does not work with wifi via the hotspot of the pisound. both with an old android tablet and with an old ipad 2. is there another possibility or does anyone here have experience with it?

@janice just to confirm, can you connect with a newer device? It might be the age of the browser but since we don’t have access to these older devices I’m not sure how much help we can provide.

1 Like

Did you check whether MODEP is running? Check the MODEP services status and their logs: Troubleshooting - MODEP Documentation

If at least one of the service is not running, the browser won’t be able to connect to it.

1 Like

ok, now i managed to connect the ipad 2 via vnc viewer, so that i can see and control Modep. But there is a really big latency. when i switch on a pedal, for example, it takes about 4 to 5 seconds before i see the reaction on the ipad. unfortunately, i can’t really adjust the effects very well.

is there a way to reduce the latency? i entered the display from the ipad in the boot/config.txt because i had read that it could help. but it didn’t help.

@janice so you opened the MODEP interface on the pi via a vnc connection and then clicked on a pedal/setting in that browser and you didn’t see the change on the iPad for 4-5 seconds? Do I have that right?

A couple of thoughts:

1. Vnc is probably not the best way to control MODEP. Vnc is slow to begin with and you’re adding additional cpu usage by running the vnc serve and browser on the pi.
  2. maybe you could share what your goals are in relation to using MODEP? Are you wanting to control the pedals/settings real time for performance? One you thing want to consider is a midi controller that you could use to enable/disable pedals and change pedal settings.
1 Like

My aim is to be able to build new effect chains or change individual parameters (that are not mapped) during band rehearsals. It’s too fiddly with a mobile phone, especially as I’m a classical guitarist and can’t use small touchscreens very well with my long fingernails anyway :slight_smile:

TouchOSC or something similar is of course great for controlling preset things. But to add a delay to the effects chain, for example, I still need a fluffy solution.

@janice Okay, that helps.

If I may, I would like to share some thoughts on my own experience with MODEP. Others may have different opinions and I would welcome discussions on how others approach their setups.

I play bass guitar primarily and a few years ago wanted to replace my old all-in-one pedalboard with something that I could create “my sound” so I chose MODEP. Before I made the switch I sat down with MODEP, tried out the various plugins until I found a sound that I liked and built a pedalboard around that. I also knew I would want fuzz/chorus/compression so I added those plugins to my pedalboard as well. Of course not every song uses fuzz/chorus so I added a MIDI controller where I could turn on/off those plugins as needed. Playing live now, I just power on my RPi, plug in my bass and run the output to a direct box and go, turning on fuzz/chorus as needed.

The point to my rambling is you might want to consider building a pedalboard with the plugins that you like before rehearsal then use either a MIDI controller or just turn on/off the plugins in the interface on a tablet/computer. I think you’ll find adding plugins while you’re trying to rehearse cumbersome as you’ll need to tweak the settings to your liking and that may not be practical during a rehearsal with a group.

This is, of course, just my opinion but a little time at home with no distractions goes a long way in setting up a pedalboard that sounds good and is easy to use during rehearsal/performance.