Using pisound to do a SamplerBox

It probably can’t open Pisound device because it’s attempting to use the unsupported 44.1kHz rate. Maybe it could be reworked to use 48kHz instead, or maybe there’s some way to use get the ALSA’s resampling plugin to work with sampler box, but I’m not sure how to go about it.

Thanks for answer.
I’ve tried to replace samplerate=44100 by samplerate=48000 in the samplerbox Python script.
No error message now but no sound output from pisound :cry:

If somebody have an idea to do the same thing even without samplebox scripts, let me know.

Hi @llaske, are you using the latest, more advanced SamplerBox image (zip file here: http://www.samplerbox.org/makeitsoftware)? Or the original script (https://github.com/josephernest/SamplerBox)?

Hi Alex,
I’ve used the SamplerBox image - so presumably the latest image.

I actually don’t own a pisound (I want one!) so I can’t test this for you unfortunately. Would you be able to post the console output?

Just FYI the latest image is built from this repository, not Joseph Ernest’s one (website is a little misleading!) just in case this helps debug at your end – https://github.com/alexmacrae/SamplerBox

I like this project but you can make a sample with pure data very easily

I’m not familiar with pure data, if you’ve got links or tips to explain how to do that, do not hesitate

hi llaske
for fun i built SamplerBox from the README and it works perfectly with pisound
i had to choose in the Samplebox.py audio device 3 and it sounds wonderful

Let me know if i can help you get it running it was pretty easy – everything is done via

sudo apt-get install xxxxxxx —for the python packes and pip install

5 Likes

@llaske thanks for your great initiative!
@Patrick_Pagano could you please specify a bit more how you did the integration of Samplerbox on the Pisound? Thanks a lot!

1 Like

We are going to be rolling it out pre-installed via blokas.io very soon
PM me and i’ll help you

Patrick

2 Likes

Hi, the file to modify is: samplerbox.py
If anyone wants to do that you can do it through: nano samplerbox.py in the directory: cd SamplerBox

1 Like

Hi Patrick. Did this ever get pre-installed? If not is it still going to be? Just got my pisound and thinking to try this soon.

No, not yet the focus has been on pure data

1 Like

OK, thanks for the reply! Will have a go at installing it myself so…

It’s super easy if you follow the directions for manual install you can get it running without having to reformat your whole pi so let me know if you need help

Hello,
maybe someone could lend me a hand… I just followed the manual install instructions, but I cant get sound… my midi-keyboard is connected to the midi-in from the pisound and I have tried every combination in the samplerbox-settings with AUDIO_DEVICE_ID set to 1 or 3, and USE_SERIALPORT_MIDI set to True or False, but no sound all the time.

When I start samplerbox.py, it looks like this:

pi@raspberrypi:~/SamplerBox $ python samplerbox.py
    Opened audio device #3
    Opened MIDI: pisound 20:0
    Preset loading: 0 (0 Saw)
    Preset loaded: 0

When I start Pianoteq, I have sound. Anyone knows what I’m missing?

hello @phil, there are several versions of SamplerBox, all of them based on John’s first one.
I recommend you to use this one: http://homspace.xs4all.nl/homspace/samplerbox/ as Hans is continuously working on it and doing improvements.
I am running it on a Rpi3B with Pisound. You will have to disable ALSA mixer / GPIO / serialport midi. Another important thing already said in this thread is that you will have to adjust SamplerBox to work at 48kHz. Change the samplerate in the code.
Give it a try and ask me if you have any question.

Could you go into a little more detail about disabling ALSA mixer / GPIO / serialport midi and about how to change the sample rate in code? Any clue will do! Thanks!

Hello All -

I am new to this Forum - please take some pity on me. I have already successfully installed Pisound on a bare RPi4B/8Gb. It works fine.

I had previously installed SamplerBox on the same RPi4B using the instructions on the original site (~ Joseph Ernest site.) It worked fine. That was before the Pisound card arrived.

I posted earlier tonight here (and then deleted/ revised post with thei new version)… asking for suggestions on how to manually install SamplerBox on top of the Patchbox OS/ Pisound/ RPi4B combo. I kept getting errors related to rtmidi-python. I then re-read all the samplerbox posts here on the forum and see that the clear concensus is to not use the original SamplerBox.org code but rather the http://homspace.xs4all.nl/homspace/samplerbox/ code. I will try that tomorrow.

So, I guess my only question is… is it really true that I cannot install samplerbox “on top of” the Patchbox OS? It seems from all the comments above that everyone is being recommended to perform a new install of the “homspace.xs4all.nl” ISO image to a clean microSD card… then change the audio rate settings from 44kHz to 48kHz and the Pisound card is recognized? Then if I want to run the other Patchbox OS modules (ORAC, Pure Data, Super Collider, etc) - I need to swap SD cards and reboot the whole system?

I can do that… it just seems… like a missed opportunity to have everything in one OS.

I also saw in other threads here that there had been talk of incorporating SampleBox into the original Patchbox OS distribution… then followup comments that it’s roll out had been delayed ~ 2017. Did this ever happen? Is it still likely to happen?

Thank you.

I love the Pisound (and Midihub) products I now own.

Probably you can get it to work on Patchbox OS, as long as it is configured correctly. What are the exact errors you’re getting when trying to do so?