USB Controller into midi hub in OSX

Btw, if you’re not using any DAW on mac OS, an alternative solution could be to use a Raspberry Pi for hosting USBMIDI devices, by having it run amidiminder - it allows to set up automatic forwarding of ports between USB MIDI devices.

1 Like

I don’t use amindiminder yet. Looked at it and felt a bit too complex for me to get my head around. I did use ALSA utilities to get my Beatstep and Keystep sync’d properly on the Pi. As I get more familiar with the whole process I’ll revisit it

Hey, can anyone suggest what you need to do inside a daw to get a signal INTO midihub from a usb controller, ive been stuck on this for ages, keep coming back to it- ive tried midipatch bay (needs to be updated to run on my version of mac apparently). and midiPipe, aswell as a daw, all of which allow me to route data from my midi controller OUT of the midi ports on the midi hub, what id love to be able to do is to hold a key down on my controller and then put an arpeggiator etc after that in midihub and send it to a synth. so far i can only send notes directly from a daw or midipipe straight to the midihub outputs, which bypasses the midihub editor all together. I can’t see any way to create or connect my controller to the ‘virtual’ ports… any ideas ? I’m sure im missing something very obvious as people seem to suggest daw or those apps can do it, but can they do it without bypassing the app ? maybe i need to do something in midihub editor itself ? I’ve tried putting down from midi, from usb, from virtual, and tried all channels, just can’t get any data into midihub itself at all…
thanks
Andrew

Hey, on Midihub side, you should have FROM USB A → SOMETHING SOMETHING → TO USB A. (A transpose or harmonizer would be easy to check if it works)

Are you sure it’s the outputs? :slight_smile: From DAW side, you should only be able to send stuff to a MIDI input of another device. Could you show a screenshot of how it looks like?

Hey Giedrius, thanks for responding!
here is a screenshot, I’m using reaper- the midi routing window seems to be only for midi hardware outputs (if i select one of those 4 ports, midi signals go out from midihub to control my devices directly, but bypass the app)

if i put down any pipe operators in midi hub (midi, usb or virtual- a b c or d) i don’t get any midi activity, ive tried everything… i could potentially, send midi directly out of a midi port from reaper, route it physically with a cable back into another midi port and then use from midi b and build a pipe that way- but that does seem ridiculous…

thanks
A

From the computer’s perspective, the Midihub ports are the ‘outputs’ - whatever is sent to Port 1 should appear on “FROM USB A” port on Midihub. Then you can process the data, put a “TO USB A”, and the computer should see it as an incoming message coming in from MH Port 1.

oh wow, that’s working, i think i had the midihub editor open but not ‘connected’ before, that always gets me!

thanks for your help!

1 Like