Puredata 0.47 for Rpi?

Just got my Pisound! Exciting exciting! So far everything was really smooth and easy to set up. Great job!
Now I am trying to figure out where I could get the latest Pd for the raspberry without having to compile it (tried… but as usual it doesn’t work for me). The version that comes in the default repos is 0.46, but the latest would be 0.47. Autostatic does not have it either. If anybody has an idea on how to get it let me know!

After some more research (the info was not that easy to find) it seems that since the Rpi3 uses a different ARM processor, things need to be recompiled for it and just haven’t made it into the current Raspbian repo. So I guess I’m stuck with 0.46.
Not a huge deal, though it lacks Deken and some new objects like the “bob~” filter.

2 Likes

Maybe you could just use the precompiled binaries in this archive?
http://msp.ucsd.edu/Software/pd-0.47-1.armv7.tar.gz

I tried that, but didn’t seem to work… while it’s also likely I did something wrong, somebody mentioned on a forum (can’t remember where) that there might be a problem with the Rpi3 using an ARMv8 CPU, while the binaries you have linkes are for ARMv7.
Also I wonder how that works with running Pd headless using the button, it will probably still launch the version installed from the repos.

Pressing the button launches PD using plain ‘puredata’ command. It uses the PATH environment variable to search for the full path to the command.

To find out which binary is being executed, you can run this command:

which puredata

cool thanks a lot for the info! As you might have noticed… I’m still learning :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am just compiling pd on a pi3 from the 0.47-1 sources . It will take a while. :slight_smile:

EDIT

It seems to build just fine but it does not set the target right.
The target defaults to armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf

Configuration summary:

Target ...................... armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf
C++ bindings ................ no
Debug output ................ no

ALSA ........................ yes
ASIHPI ...................... no

OSS ......................... yes
JACK ........................ yes

pi@pisound:~/downloads/pd-0.47-1/bin $ ./pd -version
Pd-0.47.1 ("") compiled 18:06:20 Aug 17 2017
2 Likes

hmm, weird isn’t it? Did you try to run it?

Anyway Raspbian Stretch is out… maybe they have updated some audio apps as well.

Sorry for the late reply. I could not figure out how to start pd in headless mode with a simple patch to create some sound. So I can not verify if my 0.47.1 build really works. Sorry.

Does raspbian stretch include the 0.47.1 pd update?

Shouldn’t this work with replacing the PATH variable? Se Giedrius’ post above. But to test if it works it should also be enough to just run it from the desktop, shouldn’t it?

@loopmasta: I’ve just updated to Raspbian Stretch and Pd is now 0.47.1! So I guess this is solved now!

3 Likes