Orac 2.0 for the Raspberry PI

Yes, it is active and running! I get the following output

patch@patchbox:~ $ sudo systemctl status jack
● jack.service - JACK Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/jack.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2020-05-20 22:07:47 BST; 20min ago
Main PID: 485 (jackd)
Tasks: 5 (limit: 4915)
Memory: 87.8M
CGroup: /system.slice/jack.service
└─485 /usr/bin/jackd -t 2000 -R -P 95 -d alsa -d hw:ALSA -r 44100 -p 512 -n 3 -X seq -s -S

May 20 22:08:00 patchbox jackdrc[485]: JackGraphManager::Connect different port types port_src = 6 port_dst = 8
May 20 22:08:00 patchbox jackdrc[485]: port created: MEC-MIDI-OUTPUT:midi/playback_1
May 20 22:08:02 patchbox jackdrc[485]: port created: RtMidiIn-Client:midi/capture_1
May 20 22:08:02 patchbox jackdrc[485]: port created: RtMidiOut-Client:midi/playback_1
May 20 22:12:34 patchbox jackdrc[485]: JackGraphManager::Connect different port types port_src = 3 port_dst = 7
May 20 22:12:50 patchbox jackdrc[485]: port created: Pure-Data:midi/capture_1
May 20 22:12:50 patchbox jackdrc[485]: port created: Pure-Data:midi/playback_2
May 20 22:12:50 patchbox jackdrc[485]: JackEngine::XRun: client = PulseAudio JACK Sink was not finished, state = Running
May 20 22:12:50 patchbox jackdrc[485]: JackGraphManager::Connect different port types port_src = 3 port_dst = 20
May 20 22:12:50 patchbox jackdrc[485]: JackGraphManager::Connect different port types port_src = 6 port_dst = 21

Have you edited the ‘orac.json’ file? Could you paste the contents you have here?

Not relevant anymore, moved to Getting no sound output from Raspberry's built in analog output

4 posts were split to a new topic: Getting no sound output from Raspberry’s built in analog output

amazing job with this one @thetechnobear :clap: :raised_hands: :pray:

Just (mostly) successfully got Orac working on my Raspberry Pi 3b+. I’m using patchbox, and managed to tweak settings to get a behringer UCA202 working (haven’t checked for latency yet…). Ableton Link sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t (but that’s another story)…
My problem is that access to S1 via main.pd has disappeared completely. It doesn’t show up in demo 1. demo 2 or the init patch. I’ve arrowed left and right like crazy thinking I’ve missed it, closed and restarted pd, even rebooted the pi. It’s obviously still working because the demo patch is still chuntering away on both active chains and the midiout I added & saved to the demo is still going, but I can’t edit S1 at all because it doesn’t show up. Do I need to reinstall?

Never mind, S1 is back. I restarted the Pi again and launched main.pd. Demo1 appears complete again with all the modules available.

Decidely odd though. I don’t see this happening to anyone else. Orac is fantastic work and I look forward to working with it.

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your great work! I put your slicer for Orac in the folder ~/media/orac/usermodules/ on my Pi3B+, but it doesn’t appear in the fx folder using the pd Orac Remote Control patch. Do I have to modify something?

Happy new ORAC user here, but I have a question

How can you “unlearn” midi or mod assignments? Right now I reload the patch, feels like a workaround.

to anyone new to ORAC I highly recommend to watch the videos to get started, but something that was not clear to me from all the info was you had to start the client somewhere… whether it was pure data or the web client or midihub… I did not get the (otherwise excellent) architecture from the start…

Wow, ORAC and patchOS are great. One thing I’ve noticed happening on my raspberry pi 3 B+ (no pi-sound…yet!), is that it seems to be dropping samples. I’m using an inexpensive USB audio interface (an old Griffin iMic), could that be the cause? I’m mostly just using this cheap audio interface as a means to test out ORAC and patchos.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get using the push2 UI for controlling Orac? I know @thetechnobear has set up some push 2 functionality with Orac, but it seems that maybe it takes some additional configuring beyond the initial setup to get that bit working.

Never mind. Realized that my mec.service was not running the right JSON file. All good now.

1 Like

Hey, managed to get ORAC running on the Pi within an evening, wow. Great job technobear and those that helped :slight_smile:

A question - would it be possible to fire off the Aux button using an OSC message? It feels great having OSC control over all of the other elements of the modules via Pd/PdDroidParty, but it doesn’t feel right that the Aux button is only triggerable via MIDI.

Also, I had problems with my Focusrite Saffire 6 on a RPi 2B, there was this constant harsh noise on the audio out which no patchbox config could solve. Switched to my Allen & Heath Zedi10fx and it worked perfectly, until I hit the brickwall of a RPi 2 :sweat_smile: time for an upgrade

2 Likes

Is it possible to get Orac2 working with Push one as well as Push 2? I’m an educator with a bunch of Push 1’s and a bunch of pi sounds. Would be a godsend if possible. Thanks for any help.

1 Like

This is not enough

I her the drums
sudo service orac stop stops them, thank goodness.

There is no sign of any way to get the user interface up.
What can be done with it?

I have seen Orac 2.0 for the Raspberry PI but that neglects to explain how to actually get started!

W

push 1 support

Ive answered this a few times…
push 1 and 2 are completely different beasts to code, as different as a launchpad and a keyboard :slight_smile:
so the push 2 code will not work with the push 1, due to the display.

could the push 1 be made to work, yes… but I dont have a push 1 anymore (I traded it for the Push2), so there is no way I can do this.

UI for editing Orac presets

the intention is to use a remote interface - Ive supplied a pure data remote control and one for lemur, but you could use others - I think someone here (read this thread, its got a ton of info) had a web browser implementation.

could you run the pure data remote control on the rPI itself, yes… if you want to start X server.

why doesn’t Orac have a UI

Orac was not designed to be a desktop synth, and I dont really have any interest in taking it this way - there are so many options for this e.g. sunvox is fantastic.
rather it was designed to be used headless, so without attaching a monitor,keyboard and mouse to your rPI. hence the ‘remote interface’ concept, and things like Push2 support.

for sure the ‘remote interface’ could do with more development, Id actually hoped that the community might do more in this area - alas, I dont think any developers had interested in it, so it kind of languished a bit… this was most noteable on the rPI since other platforms like Norns/Organelle have a UI.
so I do fully recognise its not as plug n’ play, end-user friendly as I set out for it to be.

one point to note, since I released Orac 2 , and the videos in this post - Monome released a rPI Shield version of Norns… which is considerbly cheaper - and I created a version of Orac that supported this.

I also have support for another rPI option, which I’ll be announcing soon :slight_smile:

future of orac

recently, most effort Ive spent on Orac (excluding support) has been on adding new platforms.
(as I said, a new one is nearly ready …)

I do recognise there are a few areas that could do with a little ‘love’ - the remote UI is functional, but is a bit ‘meh’, the modulation needs improvement… I think generally the issue on a ‘raw rPI’ is that it needs a second ‘iteration’ to reach the maturity that Orac has on say the Organelle, Norns.

however, Im busy on other projects at the moment… Im doing some open source stuff surrounding Eurorack, and also currently updating a few of my projects to handle apple silicon.

from there I need to think about Orac, and where to take it…
some of this is back to basics…
Orac has been pretty popular, and what Id like to do is focus on why is that?
there are so many options out there, why are users choosing orac?
(on the Organelle, custom modules have become a thing… not so much outside the Organelle)

on the flip side, one of its ‘problems’ is hightlighted in this post… as one developer, its not practical to develop lots of different versions, or support devices/controllers I dont have.
so what exactly should it target.
reality is, Id say 90% of users that use Orac regularly are using in on an Organelle…is that due to its completness? or its ‘maturity’? or what?

answering these questions will help me focus on - what next? should I refine orac?
should I write the ‘next thing’ ?
(I’ve got a lot of idea on both of these approaches… so once I have the time, I’ll work this out :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Thanks mark for your full and frank answer. I look forward to what comes next. For me orac on pi is a very good solution for teaching and creating with modular music.

I do code a bit, with max and pd mostly, and based on your answer feel inspired to hack the pd ui for orac to display and respond to push 1.

Will let you know how I get on, but am aware it will be some time before I can start this project.

Thanks for all your work on it, and please keep supporting pi!

Interesting.
I have installed Orac via the Modules in Patchbox and from aptitude directly, I have watched all the introductory videos and I missed that! Silly me!!

How do I find out how to use the remote control?

I wist to control Orac with a Midi controller lugged into a Raspberry PI using PIsound as a sound card. Should be straight forward, once I know how

Worik

hi everyone,
orac 2.0 installed and working great on pi4 with pisound kit, midi learn with midifighter working, etc …

however, i’m having an issue installing other modules from patchstorage
https://patchstorage.com/platform/orac/
is it possible ?
i tried to but they don’t appear in the gui.
thanks for your time.
bests
gregg

Where did you place the modules? I think they should go into ~/media/orac/usermodules/

hi,
thanks for your answer.
that’s what i did :confused: home/media/orac/usermodules/
but the doesn’t show up in the gui, even after reboot.
should i place them ziped and unzip them here ?
should they appear in the router folder in the gui ? or which folder ?