Midihub Pipes Suggestions

All I need is a pipe with plain text so I can put notes anywhere in the patch as my patches are quite complex so I can remember what is going on when I go back to editing after a while. It would also be very nice to set a different color for this pipe for better organization.

4 Likes

@Marek Iā€™ll second that - what Iā€™d call an :information_source: Info pipe. Iā€™d guess that while the info would sit in the file, the Editor would not send it to the device.

btw, When this was discussed before, another user pointed out that while there is a limit of the description length, they build patches out of appended patch ā€œmodulesā€ each of which has its own description notes.
(Iā€™d still like to litter my pipelines with info pipes though!)

welcome to the forum.

1 Like

I almost always work with the presets inside the device so it wouldnā€™t make much sense if those text pipes couldnā€™t be stored internally. This type of ā€œinfo pipeā€ must be pretty easy to implement.

Yeah, simple enough to implement, Iā€™d have thought (a bit like a custom label) but given each pipe only uses 11bytes (and each mapping 10), & still midihub has a ceiling of 128pipes/patch, my guess is it tries to be pretty concise with data.

Itā€™s actually 255. :slight_smile: Indeed, we try to save as much memory as possible, but implementing info/comment sections should be possible too, weā€™ll get around to it at some point. :wink:

1 Like

Hi. Using MIDI to change Virtual Pipe source, I think I snip off some Note OFF messages.
I want to be able to slip in an extra Note OFF somehow, without the hardware buttin (which is cool), like just before a change via mapping.

Its a long shot and you have priorities. Hopefully you are a gardener?
Thanks.

Is it possible to add the ability to map a midi CC to Preset in Scale remap so the scale can be changed remotely?
I am hoping to use Arp and SCRemap pipes to add quantised midi arp capability to Digitone and Syntakt midi tracks and would like to be able to control and P-Lock the scale thatā€™s being used.

1 Like

Any update about this? Itā€™s very simply done in Max. You run clock into the hot inlet of a [onebang] and use note-ons to load the cold. It only fires when itā€™s been loaded.

1 Like

Yes, I would really like this as well. Patches can become quite complicated and not having a way to just throw in labeled blocks and notes is almost like having a programming language without the possibility to make comments.

2 Likes

Yes, several users have returned to this request since

Last time,

made it sound like itā€™s not that high on the development agenda!

The big difference, of couse between Midihub and scripting on a computer is that the hub seems to have strict limits on size of files (255 x 11 bytes for the pipes, 1024 chars for the Description, 32 x 30 chars for the Labels, etc). So my guess is if/when it happens, the characters per Info Pipe would be limited/ borrow from the Description bytes/share some discrete block after the Description bytes.

Personally, Iā€™d still welcome it!

1 Like

Swing & Groove!

I was thinking about this (I agree it should be within the realms of ā€œeasily possibleā€ & would likely be popular) and it got me on to something related which might be more than a little trickier, namely swing.

• My guess is itā€™s more difficult cos Midhub needs to know where ā€œthe Oneā€ is.
  • And, maybe, (cos Midihub likes to be as general as possible) what time signature
  • But the mappable rhythmic modulation potential there starts to get quite exciting, I think.

So where Iā€™m going with this is:

1. Quantise hard to the beat, in the simplest case
  2. Have variable Quantisation Strength
  3. Vary offset from the beat for a given beat pattern (ie. Swing on Steroids)

Ultimately, Iā€™d dream of a Midihub version of this*:
Groove Quantizing
Where Timing, Gatetime and Velocity can all modified differently according to which beat the ā€˜sequenceā€™ is on.
A lot more complex, but with Mapping, some crazy potential - welcome to the (Individual) Beat Variation Pipe!

*this is a blast from the past: Yamahaā€™s QY700! But that wasnā€™t variable in real-timeā€¦

1 Like

a simple quantization scheme would be very helpful for the time being. Iā€™ve got a friend who would be very interested in purchasing one of these if it had one, but Iā€™m about to build them one with teensy since this canā€™t.

Edit: sorry if this is harsh, Iā€™m just being real. I very much appreciate my midihub, but I think itā€™s wild that it still canā€™t rhythmic quantize against a clock given how long this feature request has sat in this thread.

1 Like

@vvilms Yeah, I hear you. Maybe in the next major update. (Personally, Iā€™m looking forward to scaleable mappings which has also been on the agenda awhileā€¦)
In the meantime, Lucky your mate has got you and Teensyā€¦(They should still get a Midihub though, eh? :wink:)

(As for my extension ideas - Iā€™m just dreaming of further into the future, hoping it might catch an eye at Blokasā€¦)

2 Likes

Velocity mapping would be great so itā€™s possible to manipulate it as any other CC message.
Also functionality to hold the velocity value, i.e. ignoring ā€œVelocity = 0ā€, so just holding the last velocity before velocity was set to zero.
For modular synths this would be great, then velocity could be used as a fixed CV parameter for the full duration of a note and not go down to zero during the release section of the envelope.

Also +1 for Delay, but also make the delay available in milliseconds as well as related to the beat.
This is a functionality I want also for the current delay function.

1 Like

You could use Transform to convert Note Onā€™s velocity to CC and get it converted to CV, or just drop Note Off messages to never set it to 0.

2 Likes

I also second that ( and Iā€™ve read the comments below, they all make sense)

11 bytes is a very short comment, but could be enough sometimes. I believe it is also valuable to insert a comment like ā€œSee note A1ā€ in a specific pipe).

As it is pretty quick* to implement (I guess just a new filter, that behaves like it is always bypassed), and painless on the processing side, only the editor needs to be upgraded. And in that case it would be possible (if necessary for longer comments) to make the edit aggregate consecutive comments in the ā€œfilter parametersā€ window.

* I understand coding is not just as simple as ā€œOh this is nice idea, it will be quick and easyā€ :smiley:

The work that has been done so far is still amazing, and I really appreciate how the MH has improved my setup.

1 Like

Iā€™d love some way to do this (vel remap) with the release (noteoff) velocity
know is something most people donā€™t have (my very cheap roland a500pro sends it) and so it would be quite a lonely requestā€¦
but to me would just be awesome to remap that to the decay or reverb length params in my synth and get some ā€œvariable-per noteā€ poly sustain, for that staccato/legato classy way

Midihub doesnā€™t read it right? didnā€™t seem like it just by reading the pipes and context but maybe I missed it, very new to this, gotta see again

1 Like

You can use the Transform pipe to convert Note Off velocity into some CC.

3 Likes

Okay thanks, got it working, starts looking easier to figure out the howā€™s with the hub.
Also had to filter out note-ons before the transform and invert the range of the cc
I think itā€™s still doing something weird like the dispatcher is sending the notes-on and the offs to separate channels, getting some stuck notes, I have to check that on a midi monitor

1 Like

You may post your preset in a new topic. Make sure the dispatcher pipe is receiving both the Note On and Note Off events, so it can operate correctly.

1 Like