Midihub Editor Suggestions

I’m still shocked that we do not have colour coding and dark mode available!! surely a simple yet highly useful feature! Please Giedrius??

3 Likes

No Dark Mode - No Buy! :smiley:

id like to see a step sequencer in there that can be triggered like a programmable arpeggiator. with like a 64 step limit maybe? with note and cc events?

1 Like

also would love a dark mode! everything i use on my desktop is in dark mode to save my eyes. so whenever i switch to the editor i feel like im being blinded.

4 Likes

I would like to have a “Comment Pipe” to put at the beginning of a row to visualize what that particular pipeline is doing in my large preset. Just a dummy yellow box to add text in the editor, or something similar. The Description tab is for the entire preset, not for the single pipeline. In any case, Midi Hub is ace.

2 Likes

Hi,

It would be great if you could choose different colors for your pipes in the editor. Like this you could color-code according to your liking (each synth a color, or each type of pipe/effect,or each midi channel …). This would help immensely to keep an overview if you work with a lot of pipes (and synths) and cannot fit them on one screen.

Many Thanks, Robert

5 Likes

I came here to request both these please - a comment/title pipe and a way to colour pipes to help group things together in large patches.

cheers
Tim

6 Likes

Hi there, I thought it would be great to be able to print out a cheat sheet for my routing.
For that the editor could export the routing as a picture (png, svg, …) and/or some kind of graph maybe (graphml).

Also another export might be some kind of readable (as in “plain text”) description/definition of the routing (XML, JSON, …?). You could even consider using that in place of the mhp for saving the routings.

Some folks over at patchworks apparently used the printscreen feature for that, but sometimes you have more than a screen’s worth of routings…

2 Likes

Hello, anybody here?

What about really GRAPHIC UI, instead of tons of text and forms like in 90’s? It’s bit dissapointing to have device full of features and can’t/don’t want to use them bcs of editor is just unfriedly to workflow…did you see or use MIDI-OX, for example? Or CME’s UxMIDI Tools? Or any virtual patch making SW with modules like NI Reaktor?

It’s just easier alot to realize ideas with simple overview and visual representation of connections, paths, switches, values, and overall setup.

It looks like this thread is useless, plenty good suggestions is here, but nobody cares.

1 Like

Are you are addressing the wider Midihub community or only @Giedrius, @Pranciskus & @Blokas here?

re your first image:

• are you suggesting that Midihub Editor should have ‘wire diagrams’ – which would be mostly simple 1 → 1 lines (with the only “1 → many” / “many → 1” cases being the ends of pipelines)?

• or are you suggesting Midihub’s internal structures should adopt the more complex topology as in the diagram – where a given “pipe” could be linked to and from multiple other pipes (instead of the previous/next in the pipeline)?

• and/or are you raising the idea of mappings being more explicitly shown like this?

forms like in 90’s

are you referring to Properties panels?

tons of text

Is this the Context Help ?

1 Like

Well, I’m calling anybody who’s author of the Editor, which is Vilniaus @Blokas due the credits. I guess this is only Editor suggestion thread here?

or are you suggesting Midihub’s internal structures should adopt the more complex topology as in the diagram – where a given “pipe” could be linked to and from multiple other pipes (instead of the previous/next in the pipeline)?

• YES, this one. This kind of interactive graphical UI with functions represented by “modules” and connections represented by “wires” is the one which I’m used to. Interface like this could speed up “programming” workflow alot, bcs of instant overview, it’s just simplification to see all together in one place.

are you referring to Properties panels?

• YEP, this could be pop-up “table” on demand only (when you want to edit), like in MIDI-OX, not necessary to see it all the time.

Is this the Context Help ?

• umm, nope, interactive Help is actually great thing, I translated my copy to czech (my native language). Unfortunately it’s the only content/part of program, which is easy to edit…

It looks like the only way to get what I need is just to do it by myself, like as always. IDK if @Blokas guys have more important things to do instead of implementing suggestions from this thread, Editor’s last update is dated to 2022-01-13, now I’m gonna study how to, so wish me luck :))

Suggestions that require complete redesign of the entire user interface will be taken into account for the next iteration of the device. :slight_smile: There are some technical reasons, mostly involving fitting as much as possible into the memory space available, why the pipes are placed into a fixed grid.

That said, we haven’t exhausted all the Midihub’s capabilities just yet, at some point we’ll get to introducing some new features to the Editor that will add a little more flexibility and possibilities.

It’s taking a while - we are a small team, with multiple projects on our hands, and many business areas to take care of. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

This is the sort of editor that would be a game changer for the Midihub. I’d love to use mine more but it’s just a glorified midi merge these days. I open the editor and my heart sinks if I need to do anything more than the most basic of jobs. Using the hub is fantastic, I love what it does but using that editor just isn’t easy or fun.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I don’t understand this well:

There are some technical reasons, mostly involving fitting as much as possible into the memory space available, why the pipes are placed into a fixed grid.

You talking about “fixed grid” that we can see in editor (bcs it runs on PC’s resources, I guess)?

Or just structure of code written on Midihub’s chip? I guess it’s not object-programmed then?

Anyway, I need no curves, it all can be all about 90° angle :slight_smile: Simple table/matrix could be improvement too.
I had “hacked” Midiklik 4x4 before, any setup editing has to be done in text mode, then result was this (for example):

MIDI IN JACK ROUTING  (3 port(s) found)

|Jk| Msg Filter   | Cable IN 1111111 | Jack OUT 1111111 |
|  | Ch Sc Rt Sx  | 1234567890123456 | 1234567890123456 |
|1 |  X  X  X  X  | ................ | XXX              |
|2 |  X  X  X  X  | .X.............. | ...              |
|3 |  X  X  X  X  | ..X............. | ...              |

link: How to get a TriThru à la Midisolutions · TheKikGen/USBMidiKliK4x4 Wiki · GitHub [part 9]

Matrix like this could be active and all routing and filtering setup could be done by simple enabling/disabling joint points. This could be less work for you, maybe? :slight_smile:

I would like to help but Qt (or any developing tools) is just unknown land for me. I tried to get access for opensource purposes, but it looks like they allow it only for organisations, sad…

This sort of matrix setup would oversimplify the processing that Midihub is capable of. Of course the current interface can be improved upon, but the basic operating principles won’t be changed in a limiting way.

I’m really enjoying Midihub - but I do think a classic left-to-right, modules connected by wires would be a more intuitive UI. Outside of music I use technologies like Alteryx, SPSS and Feature Manipulation Engine for data science - which all use variations on that approach.

On that note, being able to perform mathematical transformations would also be good. Randomness is useful, but I’d like to be able to calculate parameter changes too.

1 Like

yep, my suggestion is just about routing part.

I couldn’t run the appimage file on Linux. I’m using Manjaro Sway (which is Wayland). I downloaded the file, made it executable via chmod +x and then ran it. The output:

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not find the Qt platform plugin "wayland" in ""
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

I was able to work around this by forcing the xcb platform with this flag when running: QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb ./MidihubEditor_1.13.4.AppImage … I was able to make a preset and get my Midihub set up as a basic MIDI merge tool. The output lights function properly, but the MIDI Monitor in the app is not showing any activity.

I’m not sure exactly what to suggest here, but ideally the appimage file is able to run on Wayland.

Just a tiny thing
Would be nice if when holding mouse button and hovering over it checks the boxes