Compatibility with Organelle Patches?

Put your patch in /usr/local/puredata-patches/ and launch it from the pisound btn. that should work.

1 Like

thanks
Iā€™ll post some patches soon that are made for headless pure data use with a MIDI controller

pp

3 Likes

@anon86906493 any chance you could post any example patches using the MI externals? Iā€™m new to pd so struggling a little to do anything with the externals that Iā€™ve installed :frowning:

Sure, l have all the stuff on another computer, but will upload an example later.

1 Like

Sorry, canā€™t find them atm, but I can maybe explain (from memory what I did)
First of all you need to replace the two ā€œthrow~ā€ objects with a ā€œdac~ā€ to get some audio out.
I think you can basically delete all the Organelle specific stuff on the left.
Then you need to look at all the ā€œRā€ aka return objects. The Organelleā€™s knobs send numbers from 0 to 1 on send ā€œchannelsā€ which are defined somewhere in the patch IIRC. What you do is that you replace all the return objects with whatever you want to use (Pd sliders, MIDI controllers).
If you want to use a MIDI controller to change parameters you need to scale the 0-127 numbers coming from the CC to 0-1.

2 Likes

OK @anon86906493 - getting there. Iā€™ve got the Braids patch open and want to hook it up
to my midi controller. Iā€™ve replaced the throw objects with dac~; and now Iā€™m looking at three R objects at the top of the patch: r notes; r zero_notes; r notes_seq. Do I replace these with ā€˜noteinā€™ objects?

just replace ā€˜r notesā€™ with notes in

Actually what I would do if I were you is look for the receives, and then just create corresponding sends, attached to either midi objects or sliders.

Note: you will find more receives in the voice patch.

Note2: the other r notes seq is for the sequencer which you would need to wire up for midi control - look for r aux , which is a button on the organelle.

@thetechnobear OK replaced r notes with notesin, then realised that mutable objects are not being loaded with the following error ā€˜wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32ā€™

Assume this is because theyā€™re built as 32bit but my system is 64 bit? Which is weird because I built them from source - n.b. I was testing this on my 64bit linux laptop before I was going to build on my Rpi. Will the mutable externals not work on a 64bit OS? Apologies if this is getting a little off-topic!

did you build the externals on your Linux box? is so perhaps theres something in the makefiles thatā€™s forcing it to 32bitā€¦ i donā€™t think so though, but id have to double check.

generally, i donā€™t think there is any reason for them not to work on a 64 bit arch, in fact, Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™m using 64 bit version on my mac.

while Iā€™m here, and bring back on topicā€¦ Iā€™m hoping to release something new soon (which includes Kontrol, Mec and MI externals) , and it will be released on both the Organelle and PiSound :slight_smile:

1 Like

@thetechnobear - OK so they had compiled as 64bit libraries; I just hadnā€™t linked to the correct libraries. Now all of the MI externals are loading; but the only thing missing is bob~ - canā€™t find this using ā€˜find externalsā€™ :frowning:

Anyway - excited to hear that youā€™ll release soon for PiSound - this little box seems to have lots of potential - would otherwise be forking out for an organelle!

Sounds great! Any pre-release details?

1 Like

Just to give to give others hope, im a complete novice at linux, PD etc. but after some help for contributors on this forum and a brief search of the web i easily got the mutable instruments organelle grids patch working on the pi running midiout via pisound to my drumbrute. happy days !!

2 Likes

@Randomaztec sounds good. Would you be able to post your patch (or a screenshot)? Iā€™ve got all the externals installed for braids (organelle patch) and have midi notes going from my beatstep pro, but no audio out:frowning: would be interested to see whst you replacedā€¦

i hope you can see this , the master metronome is a great module/function (unsure whats they are called in PD). so my setup is midi cable in Pisound , metronome automatically sense a clock in and allows me to control tempo from the drumbrute.
You can see multiple outs , i have kept the synth drums from the patch and i have also mapped to midi out from pisound to drumbute two kinds of kick snare hats etc ( to control variations/accents). so six note outs the midi channel numbers (36,37ā€¦) are the default drumbrute notes.

this is my externals library
Capture

use the ā€˜test audio and midiā€™ in the toolbar under media to check can you get any sound out using the patch provided it is helpful for debugging.

4 Likes

Thanks @Randomaztec will give this a go when I find a spare minute

Hi there,
Iā€™m bringing back this topic, as I really dig the organelle patches, especially the most recent one made by Critter and Guitari. Is there a common methodology to convert them in PD for pisound, or is it too difficult for a newbie like me ?
Second question here : I just bought the hyper pixel screen which is very neat ! As it uses the gpio port, how can I can attach it to the pisound (already using gpio :smile:
Thanks for your help

The screen unfortunately canā€™t be used together with Pisound or any other audio card for RPi - the screen uses DPI interface which takes up most of the Rasperry Piā€™s GPIO pins, even including the I2S ones which is used for audio data: DPI at Raspberry Pi GPIO Pinout

You may need to find some of the externals used in the patches, built for Raspberry Pi.

There is a common pattern how Organelle patches are made. Usually itā€™s possible to just create [catch~ outL] and [catch~ outR] objects, connect them to both inlets of [dac~] object. Also you can connect MIDI keyboard notes by adding:

[notein]
|  \
|    \
[pack]
|
[s notes]

You should dig into Desktop Mother Patch - it implements the ā€˜Organelle patching interfaceā€™ for computers, so by having an Organelle patch open, and the Mother patch in another PD window (but same process), it should allow you to interact with the patch via MIDI and the GUI of the Mother patch itself. (Assuming the required PD externals by the Organelle patch were found on the system)

Internally, Organelle has its own version of the ā€˜Motherā€™ patch which hooks up Organelleā€™s Pure Data patches with the system hardware. Itā€™s a neat design.

1 Like

Hey, thank you very much !
I was looking into something closer to the spirit of the organelle regarding the display (I have to admit the pd console is a bit different) but having a ground 0 knowledge in pd I have no clue of what I could do !
Thanks anyway :wink:

School has just ended for me, and over the summer I would like to work on implementing Organelle patch support for the Pisound app (weā€™re looking thin on patchstorage). I have just ordered a pisound, and have been using orac 2.0 with a USB sound card since day one. My first question is: has anyone created a standardised implementation for organelle on pisound? Secondly, @Giedrius what needs to be done to the pi sound app to get nominal display support for any arbitrary patch? Thirdly, I understand Organelle has grown as a platform from 1.0 to 3.0 (hooray) and the display support is more complicated nowā€¦ so, how complex is this task using the mec integration? (has anyone approached it as more than a single patch implementation?) fourth: I get it that Organelle is a commercial project and deserves its time, but the work organelle community has done on simplifying and standardising pure data patches into a universal system is incredibleā€¦ and since itā€™s all open source (ostensibly), can we, as a different but connected community open it up (what is the feeling here? Is it appropriate? e.g. i didnā€™t write these patches, what will o.g. creators think?)ā€¦ many have tried, but i have found very little sharing of actual success cases, where everything just worksā€¦ Last question, what do you all think? Iā€™ve got some time and will, is anyone else willing to develop this? I am not talking about hardware integration, thatā€™s less interesting(Iā€™d just buy an organelle), as @thetechnobear has pointed outā€¦ I am talking about pi sound app support that is compatible with at least 80-90% of the organelle patches in a more or less plug and play fashion

1 Like