Patchbox OS image 2020-03-14 (and MODEP)

Hey, do you mean you must login manually in order for MODEP to work? Or you simply want no login prompt after booting the system?

If you want auto login, run sudo raspi-config, go to 3 Boot Options, then B1 Desktop / CLI and pick one of the options with ‘Autologin’ in them.

I have added the autologin options to patchbox->boot menu. You simply have to run patchbox->update to get the config utility updated.

This issue is now fixed as well, again, run the same command to get the fix:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install modep-mod-ui

Yeah, for some reason the usual boot options that include auto login aren’t showing up.
I’ll run patchbox-update and give the options you added a try.
Thanks!

Looking forward to trying this! Will your MODEP packages work on a regular Raspbian setup, and if so, is there a place to grab the binary packages? Thanks!

Yes, it’s possible to install MODEP on Raspbian:

1. Set up our apt server:

curl https://blokas.io/apt-setup.sh | sh

2. sudo apt install modep -y.

While the Jack backend is being installed, answer ‘yes’ to the realtime priority question asked (‘no’ works too, the answer you give doesn’t really matter for MODEP, as it’s started using systemd services)

3. Edit /etc/jackdrc to set the command line for Jack backend, if you are using a different card than Pisound.

4. Ensure that all the critical services are running, if one of them failed, the UI won’t be accessible. Start fixing from the jack service errors, then modep-mod-host and finally modep-mod-ui. Most likely cause of issues is Jack misconfiguration.

sudo systemctl status jack
    sudo systemctl status modep-mod-host
    sudo systemctl status modep-mod-ui

Use start or restart instead of status in above commands to start the services. Use sudo journalctl -u jack and similar to see the full output logs.

5. To get MODEP to autorun on startup run:

sudo systemctl enable modep-mod-ui

2 Likes

Perfect - thanks for the detailed response!

Lovin’ it.
Got it up and running with a Pisound 1.0 and RPI 4.
Everything seems to be good, except BOTH kernels, stock/realtime, disconnects the bluetooth/app.
Is there another workaround, or do we have to wait for a bluetooth bug fix?

Right after I posted that last one about a bug fix I did an apt upgrade it found some bluetooth updates. I reboot and re-paired it and NO MORE CONNECTIVITY DROPS.

patch@patchbox:~ $ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Calculating upgrade… Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
bluez libbluetooth3
2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 857 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

1 Like

Thank you for reporting this, did BT connections work well even when using the realtime version of the kernel?

This is what I’m seeing now. I burned a fresh image, updated patchbox, and configured jack to use pisound: 48000, 128, 2

After I power-on the jack service is dead, but it runs if I start it.

How to debug?

hey @joebowbeer,
don’t think this is a bug.

There is the concept of modules:

After I activated the Pure Data Module and restarted the Pi,
Jack was starting up automatically, and works fine at many different settings …didn’t try all combinations :wink:

Hey, yes, it get started when a module that depends on it is started, but it makes sense to keep it running even if no module is selected, I will release a fix for this today, in the mean time, you may run this manually:

sudo systemctl enable jack
sudo systemctl start jack

Thanks @Giedrius and @tob_har

“systemctl enable jack” did the trick.

I was expecting that selecting puredata in modules and then selecting a patch to launch would make it so that this patch was loaded on reboot, but that is not happening. I still need to run patchbox or use the app, or I guess another option is to copy the patch to a thumb drive and click once to load it.

Yes, it should open automatically, there was a bug which I just fixed - patchbox-init.service was missing. Run patchbox update to get this resolved. :slight_smile: Thank you for reporting it.

Problems solved! After updating, my selected patch loads automatically after reboot, and jack is running, too.

2 Likes

Hello,

From my side, I#d like to say I also experienced the bluetooth problem mentioned by @Giedrius and, before taking the drastic decision of updating the kernel, I ran sudo apt-get update, after verifying that patchbox update was already at the latest state. In my case, there were a bunch of libraries that got updated and, similarly to @mistymountainblow, libbluetooth3 was among them (though not bluez). That seem to have done the trick for me: no drops so far. I get now:

patch@patchbox:~ $ apt-cache policy libbluetooth3
libbluetooth3:
  Installed: 5.50-1.2~deb10u1+rpt1
  Candidate: 5.50-1.2~deb10u1+rpt1
  Version table:
 *** 5.50-1.2~deb10u1+rpt1 500
        500 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster/main armhf Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     5.50-1.2~deb10u1 500
        500 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster/main armhf Packages
1 Like

Hi, I have installed the new update but had several errors.
Now I cant open patchbox-config now.
As a version I get:
Linux patchbox 4.14.91-rt49-v7+ #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Tue Feb 19 15:51:26 EET 2019 armv7l

patch@patchbox:~ $ sudo patchbox-config
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/patchbox-cli/patchbox/cli.py", line 2, in <module>
from patchbox.utils import PatchboxHomeGroup, PatchboxChoice, do_group_menu
  File "/usr/local/patchbox-cli/patchbox/utils.py", line 10, in <module>
from dotenv import load_dotenv
ImportError: No module named dotenv
patch@patchbox:~ $

Edit:
I can access the Pi through startx though, so I see the graphical env, hmmm any ideas what I could do? Reinstall Patchbox?

Hey, see my latest reply this thread: No module submenu?

Oh thanks for the quick answer! I guess then I can simply Download the new Image, and make a fresh install? Thanks a lot!