[Beta] MODEP 2018-01-22

Hi guys, a new MODEP image is available for testing.

Direct download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/w761lcx4efu6r8c/image_2018-01-22-MODEP.zip

Torrent download link:
https://blokas.io/modep/image_2018-01-22-MODEP.zip.torrent
Keeping the torrent client running after the download is much appreciated to help us share the image! :slight_smile:

Login: modep
Password: blokaslabs

Please report any issues you find.

As of now, it contains 294 plugins (previous image had 144).

The image is based on the latest Raspbian stretch. The build files for generating the image are available here: https://github.com/BlokasLabs/modep-gen. Most of the plugins get built in ā€˜stage5ā€™, pull requests adding more plugins are welcome! Also if you happen to find a better way to configure the services, etcā€¦, let us know!

You may be able to access the MODEP server using http://modep.local whether youā€™re connected directly to Pisound WiFi hotspot, or your home router. This is done using mDNS service, however, for it to work on Windows 10 I had to install https://support.apple.com/kb/DL999?locale=en_US (search the net for details why). Up-to-date Mac and Linux systems may be readily able to use mDNS.

Enjoy!

7 Likes

thank you for posting!

w00t!
Did download (and upload) the image. Will burn it after work.

Curious about the added plugins. Some of them were becoming my favourites.
Also wonder if the new builds have magically solved some of the problems with saving and retrieving presets.

Intrigued about the Bonjour/Zeroconf connection through home router. Been mostly using my Pisound-hatted Pi as an access point (i.e., without connecting to my home router), which requires me to switch back and forth between WiFi on my MacBook Pro. Itā€™s still a very cool feature in terms of having a device you can use in an environment where you canā€™t (or donā€™t want to) connect to a router. But itā€™s nice to have options.

I was playing with this quite a bit yesterday ā€¦ its fantastic , thanks @Giedrius

have to work out, how Im going to control ā€˜finished pedalboardsā€™ parametersā€¦

I noticed X was not installed in this image, which is no issue, but means a small touchscreen interface is out, unless I start installing Xā€¦ before that, I was wondering if I could some how use the mod duo interface, and adapt it to a touchscreen.
(I was thinking something very simpleā€¦ donā€™t want patching access, just access to parameters)

I guess some how you must be able to interrogate modhost for parameters?

how are others using this in practice? fixed CC mappings with a limited number of pedalboards?

1 Like

It should be possible to map various controls to MIDI messages. MOD Web GUI User Guide - MOD Wiki

The mod-host command protocol is documented in the readme: GitHub - BlokasLabs/mod-host: LV2 host for Jack controllable via socket or command line - There seems to be commands available for modifying params.

Yeah, this image is built on top of Raspbian Lite message.

A small screen could help. Even LCD.
One thing which would be cool as well would be to have an Eigenharp Pico plugged to this whole MODEP setup. Of course, there isnā€™t MPE support here, but it can be a very convenient sound source.

Have yet to burn this image but might do so tonight, after jamming with a friend (using my previous MODEP version and my Yamaha WX-11).

Itā€™s great! i was working through some feedback but the image has basically dealt with all my criticisms. I had had sound quality (glitches) problems with the vocoders but that problem is goneā€¦

I was still missing the tal vocoder (which is really great) but youā€™ve got most of what I had compiled in there now :slight_smile: And the glitche are gone ā€¦

Did you modify the jack settings?

This is the jack.service from previous MODEP release: https://github.com/BlokasLabs/modep/blob/master/services/jack.service and this is the new one: modep/stage3/03-install-mod/files/jack.service at modep Ā· BlokasLabs/modep Ā· GitHub

Iā€™ll add a note to get it in the official release of this image.

Let us know if thereā€™s anything else you see missing or youā€™d like to see included. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Speaking about jack settings, weā€™re considering using -p 128 in place of -p 256 which should further reduce the latency.

To everyone who is using this beta image, here are the steps to try it out:

1. ssh to the device from your PC:
    a. ssh modep@modep.local if mDNS is working for you
    b. ssh modep@172.24.1.1 if you have connected to Pisound WiFi hotspot
    c. ssh modep@... where ā€¦ is the IP assigned to RPi / Pisound by your router.
  2. sudo nano /usr/lib/systemd/system/jack.service
  3. Change -p 256 to -p 128 in line 9
  4. Ctrl+X then Y to save.
  5. sudo systemctl daemon-reload
  6. sudo reboot

Then try playing around with it. This change should slightly reduce the latency, but also the stability may be impacted, so you may get more XRUNs, crackling, etcā€¦ Please report on how this change went for you, whether you had any difficulties with your normal use.

1 Like

Itā€™s comparable as it is (256) with my prynth (https://prynth.github.io/) derived settings. For the supercollider synths Iā€™m running 128 is fine, but they are fairly ā€˜decentā€™ (ie. Iā€™ve tailored them for latency to be responsive to controllers). Iā€™ll try this later tonigh (err, itā€™s getting late now)ā€¦ btw, Iā€™m working on getting a set of button scripts for scsynth up ā€¦ Iā€™ll open a thread.

1 Like

Thank you for all of the work making a new release, and thank you for the addition of the harmonizers! I havenā€™t had much chance to go through it, so if I missed itā€™s addition my bad, but is there any chance to get Zynthian or Yoshimi working in this build of MODEP?

And I agree, any and all TAL plugins would be a welcome addition. But really, there is enough to play around with in here where Iā€™ll be busy enough as it is next time I get enough of a break to work on setup. Thanks again!

1 Like

Was finally able to play with this one! Good thing too, as it might be possible for me to do a demo on Saturday. Will probably use one pisound-hatted Pi3 to demo MODEP (with a laptop to show how it is in the browser) and another pisound-hatted Pi3 to demo Sonic Pi, in Raspbian Stretch Pixel (need to prep a card for this part; will do that tomorrow night).
So far, really liking the new build. Quite nice that you were able to add so many LV2s with full GUI. Just found out that, on an iOS device, knobs work through pinch. Itā€™s a bit strange, but it works.
Would second the vote for TAL plugins. On my previous attempts with MODEP, TAL-Noisemaker was by far my favourite, even without the GUI. Itā€™s pretty powerful a synth, in such a context.

Here are some TAL plugins which were working for me before:

• TAL-Dub-3.lv2
  • TAL-Filter-2.lv2
  • TAL-Filter.lv2
  • TAL-NoiseMaker.lv2
  • TAL-Reverb-2.lv2
  • TAL-Reverb-3.lv2
  • TAL-Reverb.lv2
  • TAL-Vocoder-2.lv2

Dexed could also be pretty cool. And Helm! Lots to like in Helm.

Hereā€™s a longer list of plugins which, according to my notes, worked at some point but may not be on the current build (maybe the names didnā€™t match but tried to eliminate those which were actually on this install).

• 3BandEQ.lv2
  • 3BandSplitter.lv2
  • a_law-swh.lv2
  • alias-swh.lv2
  • allpass-swh.lv2
  • am_pitchshift-swh.lv2
  • AmplitudeImposer.lv2
  • ams.lv2
  • analogue_osc-swh.lv2
  • artyfx.lv2
  • AVL_Drumkits_Perc.lv2
  • avocado.lv2
  • avw.lv2
  • b_overdrive
  • b_reverb
  • b_synth
  • b_whirl
  • b_whirl_mod
  • b_whirl_xt
  • balance.lv2
  • bentdelay.lv2
  • blop.lv2
  • bode_shifter_cv-swh.lv2
  • bode_shifter-swh.lv2
  • butterworth-swh.lv2
  • chebstortion-swh.lv2
  • comb_splitter-swh.lv2
  • comb-swh.lv2
  • const-swh.lv2
  • crossover_dist-swh.lv2
  • CycleShifter.lv2
  • dc_remove-swh.lv2
  • decay-swh.lv2
  • decimator-swh.lv2
  • declip-swh.lv2
  • delay-swh.lv2
  • delayorama-swh.lv2
  • dexed.lv2
  • diode-swh.lv2
  • divider-swh.lv2
  • dj_eq-swh.lv2
  • dj_flanger-swh.lv2
  • DPF-Amp.lv2
  • DPF-Synth.lv2
  • drowaudio-distortion.lv2
  • drowaudio-distortionshaper.lv2
  • drowaudio-flanger.lv2
  • drowaudio-reverb.lv2
  • drowaudio-tremolo.lv2
  • drumsynth.lv2
  • dyson_compress-swh.lv2
  • EasySSP.lv2
  • eg-amp.lv2
  • eg-fifths.lv2
  • eg-metro.lv2
  • eg-midigate.lv2
  • eg-sampler.lv2
  • eqinox.lv2
  • fabla2.lv2
  • fad_delay-swh.lv2
  • fast_lookahead_limiter-swh.lv2
  • fil4.lv2
  • flanger-swh.lv2
  • floaty.lv2
  • fm_osc-swh.lv2
  • foldover-swh.lv2
  • fomp.lv2
  • foverdrive-swh.lv2
  • freq_tracker-swh.lv2
  • gate-swh.lv2
  • giant_flange-swh.lv2
  • gong_beater-swh.lv2
  • gong-swh.lv2
  • Granulator.lv2
  • gverb-swh.lv2
  • hard_limiter-swh.lv2
  • harmonic_gen-swh.lv2
  • helm
  • hermes_filter-swh.lv2
  • hilbert-swh.lv2
  • impulse-swh.lv2
  • invada.lv2
  • karaoke-swh.lv2
  • KlangFalter.lv2
  • latency-swh.lv2
  • lcr_delay-swh.lv2
  • lookahead_limiter_const-swh.lv2
  • lookahead_limiter-swh.lv2
  • loopor.lv2
  • ls_filter-swh.lv2
  • LUFSMeter.lv2
  • LUFSMeterMulti.lv2
  • Luftikus.lv2
  • MaBitcrush.lv2
  • MaFreeverb.lv2
  • MaGigaverb.lv2
  • MaPitchshift.lv2
  • matrix_ms_st-swh.lv2
  • matrix_spatialiser-swh.lv2
  • matrix_st_ms-swh.lv2
  • mclk.lv2
  • midi-switchbox.lv2
  • mindi.lv2
  • molot-lite-mono.lv2
  • mtc.lv2
  • mud.lv2
  • multivoice_chorus-swh.lv2
  • MVerb.lv2
  • nodelay.lv2
  • Obxd.lv2
  • offset-swh.lv2
  • paranoia.lv2
  • Pitchotto.lv2
  • plate-swh.lv2
  • pointer_cast-swh.lv2
  • powercut.lv2
  • Prefreak.lv2
  • rate_shifter-swh.lv2
  • retro_flange-swh.lv2
  • revdelay-swh.lv2
  • rkr.lv2
  • samplv1.lv2
  • satan_maximiser-swh.lv2
  • sc1-swh.lv2
  • sc2-swh.lv2
  • sc3-swh.lv2
  • sc4-swh.lv2
  • se4-swh.lv2
  • shaper-swh.lv2
  • Shiroverb.lv2
  • sifter-swh.lv2
  • simple_comb-swh.lv2
  • sin_cos-swh.lv2
  • single_para-swh.lv2
  • sinus_wavewrapper-swh.lv2
  • smooth_decimate-swh.lv2
  • sooperlooper.lv2
  • SoulForce.lv2
  • split-swh.lv2
  • stereoroute.lv2
  • StereoSourceSeparation.lv2
  • surround_encoder-swh.lv2
  • svf-swh.lv2
  • TAL-Dub-3.lv2
  • TAL-Filter-2.lv2
  • TAL-Filter.lv2
  • TAL-NoiseMaker.lv2
  • TAL-Reverb-2.lv2
  • TAL-Reverb-3.lv2
  • TAL-Reverb.lv2
  • TAL-Vocoder-2.lv2
  • tape_delay-swh.lv2
  • TheFunction.lv2
  • ThePilgrim.lv2
  • tinygain.lv2
  • u_law-swh.lv2
  • valve_rect-swh.lv2
  • valve-swh.lv2
  • Vex.lv2
  • vynil-swh.lv2
  • wave_terrain-swh.lv2
  • Wolpertinger.lv2
  • xfade-swh.lv2
  • xfade.lv2
  • zm1-swh.lv2

A few which, according to my notes, never worked for me:

• sorcer
  • linuxsampler-lv2
  • zynadd
  • foo-yc20
  • so-synth-lv2

Overall, great job @Giedrius!

Oh, and by the byā€¦ The mDNS/Bonjour does sound like itā€™s workingā€¦ as long as you connect to the Pi as access point. For some reason, thought it meant that the Pi would then announce itself on the LAN if plugged into it. That didnā€™t work in my situation. But accessing modep.local when connected through the Pisound access point does work really well. No need to remember the IP address!

Also, it sounds like the problem in saving and accessing user patches has been solved. If so: yay!

Thanks again for all the good work!

Try turning the WiFi hotspot on and off using the button after plugging the internet cable, at that time itā€™s restarting the mDNS service. I was able to access using the URL both via the network cable and the WiFi hotspot.

The focus in this release was to include plugins with a working GUI. If thereā€™s votes to include non-GUI ones, weā€™ll consider it. :slight_smile:

Does anyone have any feedback on using -p 128? :slight_smile: (instructions here)

Thought about that (especially since my first burn didnā€™t work: the Pi wouldnā€™t boot). But itā€™s not really important for me at this point. My use cases tend to be either to connect to the Pi as a captive access point (not connected to the Internet) or plugging the Pi to Ethernet to install some stuff.

How many votes do we get? Would put a lot of them in this category.

Havenā€™t tried it yet. Prepping for demos to do tomorrow (at Canadaā€™s National Arts Centre, no less) and donā€™t really want to mess with settings just in case something goes wrong.
Havenā€™t had noticeable issues with latency using the current settings. Admittedly didnā€™t do much with this setup, yet.

I got my pisound in the post last night. Iā€™m totally new to linux pi pd etc. With a lot of web searching i got the beta up and running this morning with no issues.
Sound quality is excellent and itā€™s very simple to use.
One issue is that the interface is nearly unworkable for setting up pedal boards on a mobile phone. A desktop or tablet are required for this. A mobile can be used to view pedals board but editing is a major pain. I tested with a synth in, guitar and midi in all functioning as I expected. the variable gain on input is great. I have so many pedals that wonā€™t function with line level devices.

My plan is to use this device to help me to get into the maker community thing. For me next step is figure out how to build a ardunio midi controller and use it to control some of the elements in modep. This may not be the right place to ask this but does anyone know if itā€™s best to build a usb midi controller or 5 pin din to control PD or modep on the pi. The usb method seems easier for a beginner to program and build. I am presuming modep or PD accept standard midi messages.

Thanks to all the contributors .Maybe in time I might be able to help.

This afternoon, did some pisound-bssed demos during two preshow sessions to the ā€œSymphony Hack Labā€ at Canadaā€™s National Arts Centre. https://nac-cna.ca/en/event/15987

One Pi3 was using this MODEP image and an iPad displayed the browser interface (the other Pi3 runs Sonic Pi and Minecraft). My main issue with MODEP, in this case, is that synths are glitching. Not too much of an issue with the amount of noise around and with kidsā€™ attention, but itā€™ll be important for me to solve this. Maybe itā€™s a latency issue, for some reason, but that sounds strange. Neither the CPU nor the RAM were being taxed too much and, IIRC, there werenā€™t many xruns.
Altogether, it was quite a powerful experience to show people what you can do with a Raspberry Pi. (Nobody made a comment about the glitchy sound.)

Oh, and even on an iPad Pro, itā€™s very tricky to twist the knobs or to move around the board.

Testing random synths i too ran across the cracking issue. unfortunately i didnā€™t write down the offenders. CPU usage was only about 25-35%. using the on board sequencers seemed to aggravate the issue. i did note one one occasion the CPU usage icon turning red even though it was only reporting approx 25% usage?

Either method is fine. USB MIDI might require less wiring as the USB connection is already on the Arduino itself. Have you seen Example Projects - Pisound Documentation?

@Enkerli Thatā€™s awesome! :slight_smile:

Do you remember the plugins you had issues with? Iā€™ll take a look at those.

Hmmm, for me the glitches that were apparent with, for instance, the vocoder and pitch shifter, ā€˜went awayā€™ with this image.

using the -p 128 (period setting for jack) as Giedrius suggested worked for me. Maybe thatā€™d help?