Attack-Release Preset for Sidechain Simulation

@sdk75, interesting!

There’s a number of aspects in your design brief which make the ADSR experiment –written for general use– overly complex for your needs

For example:

• given you’re working with drum hits there’s likely no need to wait for a Note Off; a simple “A” then “D” will suffice
  • you might not need any of the complications having the patch handle interrupted envelopes (that needed some careful work to get it right!) – any given envelope will likely be all done before the next kick arrives.

I dunno whether you’ve spent much time delving into the patch, but you’ve likely seen that it’s got 180°phase Saw-Up LFOs with a Transform waiting after the Attack LFO to pick-up when it’s done it’s One-Shot.
Now, therein lies a little subtlety; the Range Low there is mapped to a CC which is derived from the LFO rate control

(it's the CC81 here)

in the v1 diagram buried here

& now found rescaled here:
Screen Shot 2024-06-13 at 17.07.52

and it’s job is to get the last value in the LFO when the rate is less than 1Hz.

Upshot is, i think, the first tests to do are to see how quick you need the LFO to be cos it’s likely to get very jaggy if you want it fast (after all an Attack of 1/10 sec is going to leave you just 12 CC values of modulation…)
It might be best to start off with some simple experiments with a fixed rate “ease-in EQ’d” LFO to see how it sounds (I might even try a Triangle LFO accepting a symmetrical AR just for starting simplicity)

Footnotes
A Triangle LFO could be a nice expedient if linked with a “max” threshold mapping switch that changes the rate and maybe the EQ curve (then a “reset” switch back at the “min” threshold)

Another thing maybe worth looking at is millisec-rate Delay instead of one-shot; not looked into that strategy at depth but I think it might have several advantages over One-Shots for sub-1sec applications (pre-Delay via a threshold Transform, as fast as the MIDI queue will allow and modulating the feedback ammt could be fun for changing the exponential decay!)

1 Like