1.13 issues! Arpeggiator and note off major dramas

Trying to do a simple arp, but the arp is not playing correctly. It’s not playing all notes, not playing them in time seemingly, and not playing them in the correct order.

Here is the message log translated to text - PS it’d be nice if I could export this rather than write it out.

INCOMING	OUTGOING

event	fa		fa
event	96 30 15
event	96 34 2a
event	96 37 2f
event	96 45 64
timed			86 45 00
timed			86 30 00
timed			86 34 00
event	96 30 00	96 30 00
event	96 30 15
event	96 34 00	96 34 00
event	96 34 2a
event	96 37 00	96 37 00
event	96 37 2f	
event	96 45 00	96 45 00
event	96 45 64
timed			86 37 00
timed			86 45 00
timed			86 30 00
timed			86 34 00
event	96 30 00	96 30 00
event	96 30 15	
event	96 34 00	96 34 00
event	96 34 2a
event	96 37 00	96 37 00
event	96 37 2f	
event	96 45 00	96 45 00
event	96 45 64	
timed			86 37 99
timed			86 45 00
event	fc

I found an ordering issue - when not the entire sequence plays, and you release and hit a new chord, it’d start at the next higher or lower held note, instead of restarting from the very beginning. I think this could explain not playing all notes and ordering.

To sort out the timing - send a Start message to Arp to reset the timer.

Hey, does this mean I need to send a start to the arp every time I enter a note?

On closer inspection of the logs, it seems that almost all of the note-on messages are being sent with a zero velocity. All note ons should always have a non-zero velocity though shouldn’t they? (note on with zero velocity = note off, yes?)

The Start message is to align the Arpeggiator as well as all the other devices to the same beat grid.

Yes, velocity 0 is considered as a Note Off. The velocity to be used for the generated notes is bassed on the last Note On velocity (only velocities >= 1), but it also listens to Poly Aftertouch and Channel Pressure message for this purpose as well. If they send 0 pressure, it can make the Arp pipe produce 0 velocity Note Ons. It’s not an issue when all of the notes are released at the same time, but I guess it could be problematic if not all of the notes are released.

An easy way to fix that is to filter out Channel Pressure and/or Poly Aftertouch prior to the Arp pipe.

Hey, we’ve just released an update to address the Arp sequence issue when all notes were off, and I’ve added limiting of Velocity to be 1 or higher when listening to Ch. Pressure and Poly Aftertouch messages. [Beta] Midihub Editor 1.13.2 & Firmware 1.13.1

And btw, the Event Monitor log can be exported as a CSV now. :wink:

2 Likes

Awesome!! Thanks so much (I was just about to roll back to 1.12.2)
I will have a play and see how it goes.

Hey, wondering if you can take a look at this now - I’ve “solved” the issue. Using a -8 sync delay. It seems a bit excessive. Is there something in the arp programming causing that? Is it something to do with note on and clock signal being in the wrong order (1 immediately after the other instead of before)

arp fixed delay ext.mhp (507 Bytes)
arp delay ext.mhp (507 Bytes)

What’s weird, is that all of the issues you raised were kind of there since way earlier.

This probably has something to do with compensating for audio latency in your system, or some sync issue between your devices. One personal use case I have for this pipe is to make AKAI MAX49 sequencer to be in time with the other devices - for me it seems when the sequencer is started, it’s a 16th note ahead (or behind, can’t remember which) compared to all the rest of the hardware, Sync Delay lines it up.

For Arp, you have to play a little bit ahead of time than the quantization grid, and try hitting the lowest or highest key first (depends on the direction of the selected sequence), so all of the notes make it.

1 Like

Just want to say thanks for all the support responses!

WRT the latency issue… I don’t know what’s going on. I don’t really have the necessary visibility / troubleshooting capability to track down complex midi issues on my desk.
Have tried Toraiz Squid, Korg Minilogue xd, will try the MPC One when I get it back from a warranty repair job.

1 Like

By the way, I guess the patchstorage.com upload of the initial patch can be removed now, as the issue seems to be solved. It’s better to make bug reports here in the community and attach presets to the posts, and use PS for sharing interesting pipe snippets and setups. :slight_smile: